Ability to toggle "Force Dark Mode for Web Contents" per website

Copper Contributor

I really liked this feature, on some websites it works great, but on others, it breaks the website (ex: wikipedia.org). I would love to see a feature that would enable/disable it per website. Or is it possible in current releases?

Thank you!

11 Replies
I agree per-site setting would be useful. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but even just having a global on/off toggle on the browser toolbar would be helpful for edge cases (pun intended) where you need to quickly switch modes for better readability.

I occasionally use an extension called Dark Reader from the Chrome Store. Of course it's more polished and feature-rich compared to this early beta of "Force Dark Mode for Web Contents". However, all those features—including per-site settings—come with additional UI complexity that might be off-putting for less savvy users.

For now, my solution is to fix those problematic webpages with "stylish" extension (text color, background etc.). It is working great, and it has a feature to share styles with the community too. But problem with extensions is sometimes it impacts webpage performance. I'm planning to work on some user-friendly extension specifically designed to fix forced dark mode content. 

@hussain5416, unfortunately, I cannot agree with that, because forced dark content is not ideal, it breaks a lot of webpages. It would be better if it was per website bases. 

You got a good point there about breaking some sites, but that's why it's still a flag and not a feature (means it is in testing).

A toggle (per website) would be much more convenient for such use cases in addition to my post up there.

@asdfgh5889 Thanks for reaching out. Yes, unfortunately, universally forcing dark mode would likely cause unexpected behavior on a number of sites. But a toggle would be an interesting solution for this; feel free to submit that suggestion in the feedback tool if you haven't yet!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted wrote:

@asdfgh5889 Thanks for reaching out. Yes, unfortunately, universally forcing dark mode would likely cause unexpected behavior on a number of sites. But a toggle would be an interesting solution for this; feel free to submit that suggestion in the feedback tool if you haven't yet!

@Deleted Do suggestions sent via the feedback tool have greater impact/visibility than posting in this forum? Or, are they equivalent, but reinforce/amplify one another if you use both?

IMO the best solution for "...universally forcing dark mode would likely cause unexpected behavior on a number of sites" would be:

1. Force dark mode should automatically recognize and bypass sites that are already set to their own dark mode (e.g. reddit dark mode).
  2. Give users the ability to blacklist (permanent) or toggle (temporary) as @asdfgh5889 suggests, individual sites that are seriously broken or have minor visibility issues after forcing dark mode.

@Mike Glenn Great question about feedback location. It's a Venn diagram, as some teams focus more on one over the other, so you'll provide maximum visibility by posting in both. The forums are also generally better suited for discussions (either with us or the community,) whereas the feedback tool is ideal for giving a "+1" for a feature request or securely submitting diagnostics for a bug. But again, there's a lot of cross-over, so it will never hurt to share your thoughts in both places.

And those are good suggestions. Again, feel free to submit feedback, but I will also check-in with the team to see if they have any insights on this.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted Thanks. :thumbs_up:

@conyeje2EY thanks for reviving this old (and apparently forgotten by Microsoft) suggestion. Not long after posting this, I discovered the Dark Reader extension actually accomplishes everything I wanted. So, I stopped caring about "Force dark mode for web contents". I also discovered this flag is available  in other Chromium-based browsers, so it's possible Google or another company developed and abandoned it.

Nevertheless, I will add my vote to the user voice suggestions you linked.