A keychain cannot be found to store "Microsoft Edge"

Microsoft

With the previous dev update I got this "A keychain cannot be found to store "Microsoft Edge"" message.  I chose "reset to defaults" and it cleared all my cookies etc, leaving me logged in but "not syncing".  Then with today's update (84.0.495.2) I got the same message again.  This time I canceled that dialog and the browser launched, still with "not syncing."  So I signed out and signed back into my MSA profile and got a bunch of "A keychain cannot be found to store <various things Identity wants to store>."  Now the browser is stuck in "setting up sync."  

Suggestions on how to fix and whether more info is needed to report a bug?

Bruce

30 Replies
Any suggestions? I've had to abandon Edge on that machine and go back to Chrome.

Bruce

@Bruce_Lowekamp We're sorry to hear that! A couple of questions for you:

1. Have you tried any other MS Edge builds? If so, which, and what was the behavior?
  2. Have you had a chance to submit in-browser feedback and diagnostic logs? If not, feel free to send me a DM first, and I can give you a code to include. (This will help it get to the Sync team faster.)
  3.  What OS are you using?

Thanks,

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted thanks.  I hadn't used Edge for a couple of days but when I went to check it had been updated to yesterday's build, and apparently that resolved the problem I had seen with the previous two builds.  So I guess I'm good for now. 

Bruce

@Bruce_Lowekamp Excellent, I'm glad to hear that did the trick. Please let us know if you encounter anything similar, and we'd be happy to take a deeper look.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted I faced it issue right today. On my Macbook Pro. Edge updated via the Microsoft Updater, and then when it re-opened, I get this error message - "A keychain cannot be found to store 'Microsoft Edge'". A new keychain had to be created and now all my previous passwords are lost !!!!

Please help restore !!!

@bodhidasgupta Thanks for reaching out, and I'm sorry to hear that! If you haven't yet, can you please try uninstalling and reinstalling MSFT Edge? And can you please confirm what channel and version you're currently using?

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@DeletedI just got this message a few minutes ago when I opened Edge.  When I select Preferences it only shows me the ability to recreate a new keychain.  Is there any way to restore the old one?  I am losing a lot of data.

I did get a lot of extension crashes the first open, I exited Edge and saw an Edge update install.  When I opened Edge again, then I got the keychain error.

@Deleted Well now everything has magically reappeared after I exited Edge again and relaunched.

@VMGuru Great, I'm glad to hear it!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Bruce_Lowekamp when I open new tab, Edge showing a popup and saying "Keychain Not Found" -in Version 87.0.666.0 (Official build) Canary (64-bit): MacOS, attached screenshot.

@Deleted This is getting annoying. I am trying to like the edge interface and move away from Chrome. I have been receiving the errors listed above. 

I have not been able to get rid of them. If I have to uninstall Edge and reinstall I will most likely just keep it uninstalled. I find this practice a horrible suggestion. I have a couple of extensions I would have to reinstall and set back up. This is time I don't have. 

I have been running edge for more than 45 days now and was liking the updated browser. Some were along the line something was updated and now it keeps asking me for keychain information. The problem is I DONT use Key chain. 

Please help.

Same issue here, I've been running Edge on macOS for over a year now, but it seems recently every time I update I end up with endless keychain errors so I'm at the point where I'm about ready to start using Brave rather than Edge.

I'm actually a big fan of Edge, but losing my cookies and forcing me to wipe my macOS keychain after every update is becoming a deal breaker.

Edit: I've just submitted diagnosis data, but that generates further errors and I'm now getting errors for every HTTP request (I've had multiple pop up typing this). I'm switching to Brave.

Version 86.0.622.43 (Official build) (64-bit)

@TIA568B @AJB_Daddler @rcreddy I'm sorry to hear that you're still encountering this! Can you please confirm what build number and channel you're currently using? 

For more context: we recently started to receive reports from macOS users saying they saw an error, “A keychain cannot be found,” after updating Microsoft Edge. This error was not common, but could be alarming since it was unexpected. A few weeks ago, we deployed a change that we believe resolved the issue.

However, if you continue to see this error pop up, we want to know! You can get rid of the keychain error by right-clicking on the Edge logo in the dock, choosing Force Quit, and clicking Cancel in the dialog that appears. Once you start Edge again, the error should be gone and your settings should still be in place; you can then submit feedback to let us know you saw the error again by heading to the  menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback. We appreciate your patience while we investigate and work to get this resolved!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted I am sorry but I have no idea what "channel" in this context would be. the version is:

Version 86.0.622.43 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I have been getting this repetitively. 

I will report but this pop up is driving me crazy. 

I continuously work on my browsers so I don't close them that often. I use them as place holders for information on various projects I am working on. Right now I have 3 profiles of Chrome and 1 of Edge open each with several tabs. 

This issue seems to affect the content of this directory, too: 
~/Library/Keychains

MS Edge will try to creat login.keychain-db.sb-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx file repeatly, then the folder size will suddenly become very big (from less than 10MB becomes up to more than 1GB) 

@vixyao That's huge!!!!!!!

@Deleted ya these updates and losing the keychain is seriously getting annoying after every update. if this happens again i'm ready to leave edge as well. any idea on when a fix will be made? seems to be an ongoing issue with many people.

@Deleted I had the same issue occur this evening with an Edge update to Version 86.0.622.68 (Official build) (64-bit) 

@Ryanbowley Same happening with me.  And not the first time.  Seriously bad and annoying programming.  In the few years since I switched to Apple products, I have never seen this issue before.  Come on MS, get your act together!  I am trying to use your product on MacOS but it's proving to be a dismal failure...  I should have known better.