A huge thank you to this Insiders group

Microsoft

We pushed our first build to Stable this morning (then again this afternoon with a fix for the language detection issue) , the culmination of months of work on our side, and tons of great feedback and ideas from your side.  I wanted to thank you for all of the time and energy that you have put into making this day happen.  This is just our latest step on our journey and we will continue putting out our Canary, Developer and Beta channels on a regular basis.  I would invite you all to remain Insiders and try our latest and greatest builds as they come out.

Thank you again,

Elliot

Joe Belfiore's Blog: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/01/15/new-year-new-browser-the-new-microsoft-edge-i...

Download Site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge?form=MA13DC&OCID=MA13DC

44 Replies
Hi,
When I pin a site to taskbar, and then click on the icon 2 things happen:
1. if the Edge window is already open, that pinned site will be opened as a tab in that window.
2. if the Edge window is closed, clicking on the pinned site icon opens a new Edge window and then loads that website in a tab.

they don't happen to you?

@Drew1903 

It's different from adding a site as an app with has a different UI and the process is different between version 79 stable and version 81 Dev.

@Drew1903 

@Drew1903 wrote:

The icon behavior when apps are pinned exists in this (for example),

It's Not a problem of Edge, it is related to Windows. Josh Bodner (Edge developer) already said this:

"...The issue is with Windows, not Edge, and we made a fix in all Windows Insider builds 19xxx and higher.  That fix hasn't had a chance to be ported back to non-Insider Windows yet (18363 and lower), so it's not surprising if people are still seeing it there, but if you're seeing it on Windows versions that do have the fix, then it means the fix wasn't sufficient. ..."

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-81-0-381-0-is-live/m-p/1110...

I'm definitely keeping my Canary installation! Thanks a lot you guys for being open and letting us help! It has been such a great experience and I really hope you keep listening to us!
Now fork Chromium OS ;)

It's been a fun ride @Elliot Kirk, many thanks to your team too !
This is awesome! One of the things I'm missing the most on the new Edge is Fluent Design. Honestly I'm completely fine with the borders and UI size, I'd like for them not to be changed, or at least for it to be an option.

Something I'd really like to be added too is the acrylic (transparency) effect on the context menus (including the three dot menu on the top right corner and the right-click menu). Also please don't forget the reveal effects when hovering.

About the animations, the Windows Start Menu has a great example of how the context menus should be animated (the context menu starts animated from the point where the cursor is.)

Here's a concept of Edge with Fluent Design on which you can see the acrylic effect: https://twitter.com/itsMichaelWest/status/1143953352662953986?s=20

And here's a concept of the context menu with the acrylic effect too: https://twitter.com/itsMichaelWest/status/1143953352662953986?s=20

@Elliot Kirk A lot of work has gone into the build and it shows. Unfortunately, as to be expected, some items did not make it from beta to stable. Specifically some of the chromium options, such as those listed at https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/#host-rules . Moreover, the command-line options '--host-rules' and '--kiosk' appear to no longer function. Thankfully, '--new-window' and '--app' still function as they did. Beta looked promising as a replacement for using Chrome for digital signage, but the lack of '--host-rules' and '--kiosk' will delay the change in production use. It will, however, be the daily driver elsewhere. Keep up the great work!

@YgorCortes 

Spoiler

@YgorCortes wrote:
This is awesome! One of the things I'm missing the most on the new Edge is Fluent Design. Honestly I'm completely fine with the borders and UI size, I'd like for them not to be changed, or at least for it to be an option.

Something I'd really like to be added too is the acrylic (transparency) effect on the context menus (including the three dot menu on the top right corner and the right-click menu). Also please don't forget the reveal effects when hovering.

About the animations, the Windows Start Menu has a great example of how the context menus should be animated (the context menu starts animated from the point where the cursor is.)

Here's a concept of Edge with Fluent Design on which you can see the acrylic effect: https://twitter.com/itsMichaelWest/status/1143953352662953986?s=20

And here's a concept of the context menu with the acrylic effect too: https://twitter.com/itsMichaelWest/status/1143953352662953986?s=20

They look nice, although I prefer the tab thumbnails/previews to appear at top instead of bottom. at top will be like Edge classic and Vivaldi, at bottom is very trivial

I hope we will be able to change the opacity of the Acrylic UI as well, like we can in the Windows terminal preview

Hi @viniciusbezerra, we haven't published a full schedule yet, but we won't be pushing out via Windows Update right away.  I would suggest if you are interested in getting on the Stable build right away, that you click the link above and start the download.  Thanks - Elliot

@Drew1903 @Elliot Kirk @HotCakeX 

Ummm ... I reckon I was not too clear initially - my bad :sad:

So what I was trying to say was:

When you pin something to the taskbar - as an example let's take Windows File Explorer - it normally resides in the left hand side of the taskbar next to the Start Meny/Search/Taask View as an icon ....

When you click on that - again let's take Windows File Explorer - the respective windows opens, but instead of having a separate taskbar button it 're-uses' the pinned taskbar icon which is then expanded with the window header text etc.

The pinned icon is pinned from Edge Stable in the Start menu btw - not a pinned site ...

This also happens with Edge Chromium Beta/Dev/Canary - but not with Edge stable ... Edge Stable open a new additional taskbar button and leaves the pinned taskbar icon untouched ...

I hope I make sense ?

@Elliot Kirk 

Success!

At last, about an hour ago, I was able to download stable Edge in English (US).

Went through IE11 vs Edge beta.

Downloaded to desktop.

At first open Google, which was set as Home Page, came in English but Edge settings options were still in other language.

Changed home page to Microsoft.

(I don't know if Google as Home Page had anything to do with the original problem.)

Clicked on the exe file on desktop again and Edge came in as English (US).

However, doesn't look like stable Edge settings could sync with Edge Beta settings, so split screen and entered one to other.

@Elliot Kirk 

Elliot, will it wait all the way until 2004 arrives or will it be before that?  I, certainly, doubt it would be as much as after that.

I switched over, even though a number of things are absent, until Updates arrive.  Still, have Dev & Canary which, are missing a lot less.

Cheers,
Drew

I wasted no time, I downloaded it, the months I wait for this moment, I will continue to contribute both in the final version and by DEV

@viniciusbezerra 

Same here, me, too.  Have had it running since yesterday on both 1909 & 2004.  But, as Insiders, it's a long-term commitment since, beta builds will continue.

Cheers,
Drew

Thank you so much for all the hard work building the new Edge, and actively listening to our feedback. Hopefully we see the most requested features/feedbacks implemented this 2020.

Still using Canary build still. :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thank you for listening to the majority of the feedbacks. I will probably still use Edge Dev for a while (this while may turn into forever if you keep releasing nice features in the new updates :face_with_tears_of_joy:)

Hello,

When will you talk about battery efficiency with the stable and dev versions of Edge?

Thanks,

Bob

@Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk 

I just wanted to mention that the Google auto-complete, doesn't work when using Google as your default search engine on this stable version. Switching back to Dev version until this is fixed!

Great job by the MS Team....truly, I really wish for a complete Windows 10 O.S that will require much less download of Apps from Third Parties and at same time, will give total support and compatibility within it's own platform.

A great move by the MS Team on building the new MS Edge with new logo and features.  . @Elliot Kirk