A Favourite Tab(s) Here option

Steel Contributor

(This may end up confusing reading due to the fact that 'favourites' in Edge are 'bookmarks' in Firefox - I'll use 'favourites' even when talking about Firefox apart from the name of the menu item in question in Firefox.)

There's a feature I have in Firefox that I'd really like to see in Edge if I'm going to consider using it seriously. In Firefox I get it from a (webextension) extension, but I've not found an extension for this in the Google Chrome or chromium Edge extension stores so I'd like to propose it as a built in feature for Edge.

What this feature does in Firefox is that when I want to Favourite (bookmark in Firefox) a tab or tabs I have an option, when in the tab with the page I want to favourite, to dropdown the menu of a favourites folder from the favourite bar, and right-c;lick on an existing favourite in the list. In the context menu there is an extra menu option 'Bookmark Tab(s) Here', and when I click it the new favourite for the tab I have open appears in that favourite folder list immediately under the favourite in that dropdown folder I right-clicked on.

I find this massively useful. The normal 'add this page to favourites' adds the new favourite to the BOTTOM of the list of favourites in the favourites folder chosen. Now, I have a bunch of favourites folders, and in many of those I have some sub-folders near the top with small groups of important favourites in those, but I then have long lists of other favourites in that top level folder. I have favourites I'm likely to want to use quite often up near the top, then all the others I'm liable to use rarely - or am just favouriting on the off chance I might want them again some time - down below. When I create a new favourite, if it's a 'rarely' or 'just in case' then I use the 'add this page to favourites' and the fact it's added at the bottom of the list in the chosen folder doesn't matter. But if the new favourite is going to be an important one I want it up near the top. In Firefox, the 'Bookmark Tab(s) Here' function means I can create the favourite exactly where in the top of the list I want it - choose the favourite immediately above where I want it to be, right click on it and 'Bookmark Tab Here'. Really quick and easy. Without it - so currently in Edge - I have to create the favourite normally, with the favourite appearing at the bottom of often long lists, then open the folder and drag the favourite up to the top, which is a very annoying lengthy process of starting the drag then moving the pointer to and holding it on the spot at the top of the favourite folder menu that produces the fastest upwards scroll without slipping out of the folder menu, having it close, then have to re-open it and repeat.

So, please, an ability in the right-click context menu over a favourite in a favourite menu to create a favourite of the current selected tab(s) immediately below the right-clicked-on favourite. Being able to choose to add a favourite exactly where I want it in the favourites order rather than only being able to add at the bottom then have to spend time moving it often a long way up the order is, for me, a vital ability in a browser.

3 Replies
A reverse "sort by date" option in favorites management should take care of it.

@HotCakeX 

No it won't.

I do not use any sort by. I have my favourites in a user chosen order. Applying any sort by loses that. And it's not anything to do with sort by date. My favourites listed at the top of the list within a folder are a mixture of some very old ones that continue to be very important and some very new ones also now very important plus others of every date in between that are also very important. No 'sort by' reflects this, only the order I have put them in - and what I asked for will allow me to insert new favourites into that order exactly where I want quickly and easily, as I can do with the extension in Firefox but cannot do in Edge (or Google Chrome). What will take care of it is exactly what I asked for. Feel free to express some argument as to why such a feature is a bad idea even if people who don't want to use it don't have to use it. Please do not tell me not to want what I want or need what I need.

@DavidGB Thanks for the detailed post, we appreciate it! I touched base with the Favorites team, and they asked that you submit this insightful feedback through the browser, which will allow them to keep it together with similar requests. (And to keep it easy, you could even just copy and paste your two messages from here, if you wanted.)

Thanks!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge