SOLVED

84.0.480.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) shows error on About screen

Brass Contributor

An error occurred while checking for updates: We couldn't create that component (error code 3: 0x80040154). Version 84.0.480.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

I tried completely uninstalling Edge Canary and reinstalling it. Still shows this Error on About screen, although it seems to run fine.

Annotation 2020-04-09 124709.png

80 Replies
best response confirmed by Don Cuthbert (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Thanks but it was always an option for everyone at any time, not new to this.

this problem is fixed in the next Canary updates. also the updater works using these methods which is even better than the normal updater since user can set it to check for updates automatically every hour or every minute.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/84-0-480-0-official-build-canary-64-bit-shows-err...

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/84-0-480-0-official-build-canary-64-bit-shows-err...
Have they updated yet today? I've not got one yet though it is early still..
I'm on "Version 84.0.484.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)"

Dennis5mile
I'm still on the same version

Version 485 is out and it works. :smile:

@thexfileyay thank you! :hearteyes:

just ran the online installer again and there we go

bvbv.png

@thexfile 
Thanks for reporting that this has been fixed!

Mine had already been auto-updated by the time that I opened Edge Canary and all is well with the edge://help page again.

@thexfile 

Hi,
Thank you for the update.
Get no error code during update procedure.

@thexfile 

Thank you for this nice update :smile:

Excellent! I'm glad that you all are starting to see this fix. I can confirm that it shipped today! 

(If you aren't seeing it yet, please be advised that different machines may update at different times, but we expect everyone on Canary to be good to go by tomorrow!)

Cheers,

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Thanks for fixing, can you tell us what the problem was?

Bah, no update yet here. ! :crying_face:

Dennis5mile
Thanks. I'm just waiting to see if it will update without having to install ontop of current version..

Dennis5mile
Not received the update here also. Tried PC restart, cmd method. Since my previous build auto updated, I will wait again till I get updated to build 485...

@Dennis5mile 
Check a few posts up for a way that works. It basically runs the updater, as is done each day via Task Scheduler, but lets you do it at any time. Yours could be set to run at some specific hour of the day, so it will eventually update on its own. Mine did.

Try closing Edge Canary and running this (I don't know if you actually have to close Edge):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe /c

Hello reindonwload ans download

The updater worked on its own and I am updated to build 485. Can confirm that the issue is resolved now!

This was a great adventure! :cryingwithlaughter: