SOLVED

84.0.480.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) shows error on About screen

Brass Contributor

An error occurred while checking for updates: We couldn't create that component (error code 3: 0x80040154). Version 84.0.480.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

I tried completely uninstalling Edge Canary and reinstalling it. Still shows this Error on About screen, although it seems to run fine.

Annotation 2020-04-09 124709.png

80 Replies

@tistou 

By going to microsoftedgeinsider.com and download and install on top. Didn't delete 84.0.481.0 before just installed on top. 

Thank you all for your diligence and follow-up on this! We're in communication with the product team and will let you know as soon as we have confirmed what the next steps are, whether that be a fix ETA or potential workarounds.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Thank you, hope that happens before this version ships to Dev channel

@Deleted 

Yep, confirming error still present in version "Version 84.0.484.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)"

Annotation 2020-04-13 142320.jpg

Thanks for the status update @Deleted 

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile @HotCakeX @tistou @derekamoss @DavidGB @ms4132 @RedBeta @Rohit Yadav @Jacques Van de Meerssche @Living4God1991 @Mac_Van_Tan @Dimitri-K @thexfile @TheShaunSaw @MichaelC @Don Cuthbert @VBartlett1978 @bilalop44 

Hi everyone,

Good news: I just got confirmation from the product team that they are expecting this fix to ship in the next version of Canary! So hopefully, you should see this resolved very soon.

Thanks,

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Cool Thanks for the update!

Dennis5mile
@Deleted
That is great news, thanks for giving this update :)

Looking forward to installing it. :)

Will it be available by checking in the edge://about, we have to install it over the top of existing installation, or a clean install is required?

@Rohit Yadav 

@Rohit Yadav wrote:
Will it be available by checking in the edge://about, we have to install it over the top of existing installation, or a clean install is required?

I would like to know that too!

Running these commands trigger Edge updater:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe /c 

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe /ua /installsource scheduler

Replace USERNAME with your own Windows username.

waiting for confirmation

because @josh_bodner said:

"The good news is that this doesn't actually affect the updater's ability to check for updates, so you'll still keep getting them. You just can't get them on-demand. We believe we've got a fix for this that you should see in the next day or two, depending on when your updater decides to run. "

Same things happens since version 480, was the same with 481 and now the one today, 484 is the same.
Not happy with this.

@Deleted 
Actually mine updates just fine to each new build. I believe that the %LOCALAPPDATA%/Microsoft/EdgeUpdate/MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe runs on a schedule and updates Canary build without any need to download it manually. I did nothing today and my Edge had updated itself to 484.0 just fine (while not in use yet -- perhaps when my computer booted).

So this error seems only to affect the "Check for Updates" that is normally done by opening or refreshing the About page in Settings at edge://help . I don't know if that update method actually works or not, but the MicrosftEdgeUpdate.exe that you posted earlier does work to update without re-running the full installer.

@Ataemonus Than don't run the canary build if you aren't happy maybe?

@Don Cuthbert 

Spoiler

@Don Cuthbert wrote:

@Deleted 
Actually mine updates just fine to each new build. I believe that the %LOCALAPPDATA%/Microsoft/EdgeUpdate/MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe runs on a schedule and updates Canary build without any need to download it manually. I did nothing today and my Edge had updated itself to 484.0 just fine (while not in use yet -- perhaps when my computer booted).

So this error seems only to affect the "Check for Updates" that is normally done by opening or refreshing the About page in Settings at edge://help . I don't know if that update method actually works or not, but the MicrosftEdgeUpdate.exe that you posted earlier does work to update without re-running the full installer.

so if i modify task scheduler to check for updates hourly instead of daily ill be fine too :)

edge://resources/js/load_time_data.js

It's correctly ?

@bilalop44 

No i was talking about the tasks that are created automatically in Windows Task scheduler. if you set them to run once and then in the advanced settings of trigger tab set it to run hourly indefinitely you won't need to worry about the update anymore.

eee.png

@Ataemonus 

@Ataemonus wrote:
Same things happens since version 480, was the same with 481 and now the one today, 484 is the same.
Not happy with this.

my take is that Canary is not for everyone, it's kinda adventurous and fun with lots of ups and downs, it helps you to learn more about how to overcome difficulties and find uncommon solutions for uncommon problems.

you can have your default browser set to Edge stable which few hours ago got upgraded to version 81

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/

@HotCakeX 

Hi everyone,

Here is several EDGE channels and builds, status STABLE mentioned for versions 79, 80, 81:

2020-04-14 08_24_32-Window.jpg

2020-04-14 08_23_41-Window.jpg

I use version 83.0.474.0 since update error appears in version 84.
As soon EDGE developing team will post resolution of the update issue, will test this solution on my workstation. Rollback to stable version also solution.