SOLVED

84.0.480.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) shows error on About screen

Brass Contributor

An error occurred while checking for updates: We couldn't create that component (error code 3: 0x80040154). Version 84.0.480.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

I tried completely uninstalling Edge Canary and reinstalling it. Still shows this Error on About screen, although it seems to run fine.

Annotation 2020-04-09 124709.png

80 Replies

@Deleted 

It did not fix it for me.

neither did uninstalling and reinstalling. I fully uninstalled Edge canary yesterday when this problem occurred, then few mins ago installed it again fresh from new installer but the problem was still there, used the method you suggested, rebooted, it's still there :(

Nope, not for me either and I tried both 2ice.

Dennis5mile

@HotCakeX 

yup...problem not solved here either

@Deleted 

No, both the methods did not fix the issue.

@Deleted 

I was waiting for canary to break a little ;) ah well! Thanks for the update and look forward to the fix!

@MichaelC @Dennis5mile @TheShaunSaw @RedBeta @HotCakeX @Rohit Yadav 

Thank you all for the quick testing on this! We are actively in communication with the product team about this right now, and will keep you all updated as they find out more. (It sounds like there may be a secondary bug that's making those troubleshooting steps ineffective.)

We appreciate your help with this!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted @Michael Cramer @Dennis5mile @theshaunsaw @RedBeta @HotCakeX @Rohit Yadav 

One thing I noticed after attempting this fix was that the message checking for updates is that the checking for updates appeared momentarily before the error message was displayed. Before attempting the fix and after the first attempt, the screen goes straight to the error message without displaying the checking for updates message.

@Deleted  I can confirm that I have tried both fixes as well and still the same issue.

@Deleted 

Tested too and same error

@Deleted 

I had not noticed until someone else pointed it out that the .480 build has been updated successfully to .481. However, .481 still displays this same error.

Perhaps the command that you gave us did force a successful update, as I did not see mine updating on-screen within the About page.

Note that this error message did not appear until after the successful update to the .480 build. I don't know that it actually affects the auto-update function at all. Everything else seems fine to me.

@Don Cuthbert 

Ok after seeing your post I checked and I was still in 480....the browser has been open since I tried the CMD and the error was there.

I just closed the browser and reopened it and it is on 481....the error is there.

@Deleted  So I downloaded off the Edge insider website. build has updated, but the problem still remains as you will see from my screenshot. 

@Deleted 

Updated to 481, but error still present... 

Annotation 2020-04-11 052132.jpg

Dennis5mile

I am on Windows 10 build 19603 (fast ring).

Same, but it's not related to a specific Windows version

@Deleted any update from the team on this issue?

@Don Cuthbert 

84.484.0 still has the same issue.

@derekamoss 

How do you update with this error?

You go download the latest canary build from the site? Either way, if errors like this are an issue for you--don't run canary?