3 great features from Vivaldi browser

Copper Contributor

1st feature: Panel

The option of seeing my downloads, history, notes and bookmarks just a click away is great. No need to go through windows or a different tab to find what I need. All those options are there on the side without unnecessary clicks.

2nd feature: Tab stacks

I LOVE this feature. When I'm watching Twitch or Mixer streams and the people I'm watching are playing the same game, I can just group 3/4 tabs into one tab stack. Rather than having multiple windows open due to number of tabs, you can just group the common ones together.

3rd feature: Show closed tabs

Next to the minimise button on Vivaldi browser there is a bin icon which shows your recently closed tabs. 

The 3rd feature isn't as important but the first 2 are honestly my favourite features. All my downloads/ bookmarks, history just a click away and I can have the option of hiding it if I don't plan on using it. The tab stacks are just a game changer for a power user like me who uses many tabs.

Are there any plans on these sort of features?

15 Replies
You can enable the second feature by going to edge://flags and enabling tab groups.

I hope the first feature makes it in! It was present in the old Edge and I'd love for it to make a return!

@martinnn  Didn't know about that! I just tried it and it's definitely a good start, but would honestly love the ability to make them into one tab rather than just grouping them and them keeping a tab slot as usual.

Like for example, if I have 12 tabs open, 3 Twitch, 3 shopping, 3 banking, 3 work.

Instead of 12 tabs, it'll just be 4 tabs each with 3 pages within them.

So maybe a minimise feature on the groups so it collapses them? 

Hello@Dizzazter 

Edge has tab grouping that needs improvements (can be activated using "tab groups" flag)

but i believe vertical tabs and improvements it will bring will take care of it

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/whats-new

Show closed tabs is also available (on canary and soon on all channels)

fdsfsgfgf.png

seeing favorites/bookmarks is 1 click away

fdsfds.png

downloads, history etc are 2 clicks away (on ellipsis menu)

Downloads is two clicks away, which is fine enough, but customization is always nice to have.

The full history page is three clicks away; two only gives you the flyout that doesn't come with all the features like searching through history.

Again, customization of the toolbar and placement of items within it is always great to have and is good for quicker access and a faster browsing experience.

@martinnn 

Spoiler

@martinnn wrote:
Downloads is two clicks away, which is fine enough, but customization is always nice to have.

The full history page is three clicks away; two only gives you the flyout that doesn't come with all the features like searching through history.

Again, customization of the toolbar and placement of items within it is always great to have and is good for quicker access and a faster browsing experience.

I agree customization is great but history is 2 clicks too. 1 click on ellipsis menu button, then move your cursor over history, wait a few Milliseconds then click on manage history, or just press CTRL + H shortcut if using keyboard ;)

That's still equivalent to 3 taps on a touchscreen. Ctrl+H also isn't an option with a tablet. Pinning icons to the toolbar is good for touch support, which New Edge severely lacks compared to the old one.

@martinnn 

Spoiler

@martinnn wrote:
That's still equivalent to 3 taps on a touchscreen. Ctrl+H also isn't an option with a tablet. Pinning icons to the toolbar is good for touch support, which New Edge severely lacks compared to the old one.

Yeah I know but since you and me were talking about clicks i said that.

@HotCakeX @martinnn 

It's not that bad, but once I started using Vivaldi and then came back to Edge, it felt like the ease of use went down.

The grouping feature is a start, but the option to make them smaller or be one tab like Vivaldis stacks would make it perfect. Panels just felt amazing from the start for me when using Vivaldi, just giving the option for users to have it would be great, it doesn't have to be forced. 

Yeah I think if tabs in the same group would stack on top of each other and then reveal themselves on mouse hover or touch/tap it would be awesome
It really would! I honestly can't wait for it!
It would be great if I can have download dropdown just like favorites in toolbar near extensions.

Tab groups in edge are not the same feature at all.

It's just a color associated to tab. Not Grouping like in Vivaldi.

it's really the one feature I can't live without in vivaldi, and the only thing keeping me from going to Edge full-time. The other little things aren't vital, but this one, once you've tried it and you've got a lot of tabs, you can't go back.

Another thing I like in Vivaldi a lot, CTRL + tab switch between tab in order of last visualization, and not stupidly from left to right. Please consider adding this two

I couldn't agree more. And the Ctrl + Tab switch thing is SO ANNOYING. On Vivaldi it's just perfect!
Grouping does sound like a great feature they should consider.

The ctrl+tab shortcut isn’t “stupid” in Edge—it’s really just based on preference and what you’re used to. When I switched from Edge to Firefox, I couldn’t stand that ctrl+tab was, by default, based on your last-visited tab and turned it off.

But it should be an option (though not necessarily the default) for those who want it.

@martinnn 

exactly, an option is always the best so everyone is happy ;)