Visio/Project 2016 click-to-run vs Visio/Project 2019 click-to run - what is the difference?

Copper Contributor

Since we began deploying Office 365 ProPlus suite (now renamed to Microsoft 365 Apps), we've always installed Visio and/or Project 2016 volume licensed click-to-run products for customers that require these applications. What is the difference between Visio/Project 2016 and 2019? I don't understand why there are not "Office 365" versions of these products rather than named versions (e.g. 2016, 2019). 

I'm trying to determine if I should start deploying Visio/Project 2019 click-to-run OR remain with Visio/Project 2016 click-to-run. I would think that when you install Visio and/or Project click-to-run versions that they would be regularly updated with features similar to the main Office 365 suite of products. Are customers missing out on features If they use the 2016 versions of Visio/Project rather than the 2019 versions? 

Ideally, there would be versions of Visio and Project that align with Office 365 SaaS model that get updated every 6months similar to the main suite of Office 365 products. 

1 Reply