Unable to forward on-premises users email to office365 mailbox

Copper Contributor

I have a hybrid environment setup between Exchange 2016 & Office365. The mailflow between on-premises users and Office365 users is working fine. Even in Exchange Admin centrer, I can see Office365 mailboxes in Mailbox tab.

When I try to configure forwarding for any user on on-premises to forward the emails to any Office365 account, then the forwarding list doesn't display any office365 account. It just displays User account, mail user & mail contact, but no Office365 account.

Do I need to do any configuration to enable forwarding between Exchange Users & Office365?

6 Replies

Hi Muhammad,

Hi, how are you trying to do that configuration ?

You can use the proxy address to that user like email@tenant.onmicrosoft.com to do a forward to that user.

Hi Nuno,

I am trying to do it from EAC. When I click on Mail flow -> forwarding for any user hosted on On-premises, then it displays only On-premises Users, Mail Users & Mail Contacts, but it does not display Office365 Users.

What steps are you doing ? Are you connected to the On-Premises server ?

I am opening the User mailbox properties from on-premises Exchange Server, click Mailbox Features, Click on View Details under Mail Flow, then select recipient whom the emails has to be forwarded.

When I select browse for Receipients, it shows On-premises mailboxes, Mail Users & Mail Contacts, but not Office365 mailboxes.

That problem where you are doing is not possible by Design, you can do that with below procedures:

• Create a Transport Rule to forward to Office 365 user
  • Create a Rule inside the Mailbox of the User
  • Create a Contact, with the proxy address email@tenant.onmicrosoft.com and use the Mailflow on the recipient and select the contact you have created.