OnPremise archive mailbox not showing for Office 365 users

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

We encounter an issue with hybrid configuration, here are some details : 

- Exchange 2010 SP3

- ~15 users migrated to Exchange Online

Situation : 

- User "Tom" has his mailbox on Exchange Online, with an E3 licence, arcihve mailbox enabled

- User "Bob" has his mailbox on Premise (Exchange 2010)

- User "Mike" has his mailbox on Premise (Exchange 2010), archive mailbox enabled

- User "Tom" has full access delegation on "Mike" mailbox

- User "Tom" can see and have access to "Mike" mailbox

- User "Tom" can't see "Mike" archive mailbox

- User "Tom" can see and access his own archive mailbox

- User "Bob" has full access delegation on "Mike" mailbox

- User "Bob" can see and have access to "Mike" mailbox and archive mailbox

To sum up :

- An Office 365 user with full access delegation on an On Premise mailbox (with archive mailbox enable) can't see nor have access to this archive mailbox.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

8 Replies

@MaximeViret 

I have the same problem with our hybrid migration. Yo Microsoft people! Answer us. 

Hi @MaximeViret 

Did the user check also OWA? 

Right-click your name in the folder list, and then click Add shared folder.
In the Add shared folder dialog box, type the name of the mailbox that you have been provided access to, and then click Add.
The primary mailbox and archive mailbox appear in Outlook in the web folder list.

Hope this helps!

@Pavel_lV 

Did the user check also OWA? I am an admin, my mailbox has been migrated to 365. I gave myself full-access rights to a On-Premise-local-archive-enabled-user.  It has been my understanding that to access an on-premise user(with archive), a cloud user must use the  "open another mailbox" menu option by clicking their initials in the top right corner of outlook.office.com. This will then direct the cloud user to an on-premise instance of OWA, something line https://domain.com/owa. 

Right-click your name in the folder list, and then click Add shared folder. This does not work per above explanation. Cute attempt though 

In the Add shared folder dialog box, type the name of the mailbox that you have been provided access to, and then click Add. For shoots and giggles, I tried anyways. Yea....nooooo! From cloud instance of OWA outlook.office.com, I right clicked name, selected "Add Shared Folder" and added the on-premise-local-archive-enabled-user which I have full access to. Unsurprisingly, I  received the error "you might not have permission to perform this access" 

The primary mailbox and archive mailbox appear in Outlook in the web folder list. Nope, this does not work

Outside of OWA outlook.online.com, my Outlook desktop client, accessing my cloud based mailbox, does show the on-premise user which I have full access to. However I cannot see the on-premise users local on-premise archive. 

Please reread initial situation provided by @MaximeViret and provide solution for cloud users to view on-premise users archive. 

@MaximeViret we are experiencing the same problem. Did you ever get 365-users access to on-premise-archives working? 

@MaximeViret 

Was this ever solved as we are experiencing the same issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

@MaximeViret 

can I clarify Mike can access his own archive mailbox without issue?

@MaximeViret

Just throwing another log on the fire - I am also experiencing this same issue. I have tried monkeying with some stuff like the archivestatus flag in the on-premises AD user attributes but to no avail. In my case, the cloud user can use (on-premises) OWA and access the on-premises user's mailbox and archive, but in Outlook, only the primary mailbox of the on-premises user is visible, even after manually adding the mailbox to the Exchange account in Outlook. I'm wondering if it's a limitation in Exchange Online. The way I see it, in order for this to work, it would have to look like the reverse of a cloud-hosted archive. In other words, I think the MailUser object in Exchange Online that represents the on-premises mailbox would have to have ArchiveDomain set to the on-premises mail domain, and possibly have the ArchiveState set to Remote, but unfortunately there seems to be no way to do this to the cloud MailUser (at least that I can find). Someone let me know if you find a way to do this!

Or, MS support, can we get a confirmation on the status of whether this is the expected behavior and/or when the feature will be enabled?

In my scenario, the user that matches "Mike" can access his own archive just fine, and other on-premises users who have access to it can also access it just fine.