Dectection Method for Office 365 ProPlus installer in ConfigMgr CB 1803

Brass Contributor

Hello.
I have been playing around with the Office 365 Client Management in ConfigMgr.
When I look at the detection methods configured for the Office 365 Installer I can see that its based on the following registry setting.
HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration\
VersionToReport = 16.0.XXXX.XXXX
So far so good, but here is the thing.

Let's say that you create a Office 365 ProPlus installer for a newer version and deploy it to a computer that have an older version installed where a user is signed in and running one or more Office apps, then the deployment will fail (ofc).
From what I can see, the execution of the installer updates the VersionToReport value before the installation fails, therefor the new version will never be installed since the ConfigMgr client will evaluate the deployment as installed during next AppEval, but still the computer is running the old version.

To me this is very bad behavour. Or have I done something wrong here?

3 Replies

Hello Daniel,

I agree the Version To Report key is going to cause issues especially after a few updates to Office. I think a better approach is  to change the detection logic  to search for the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\O365ProPlusRetail - en-us

If this key is present then Office 365 ProPlus is installed. 

Any questions or concerns let me know. 

What would you add as a condition if you are adding Visio and or Project?

@zbowerswb  

We use the uninstall key location for visio or project

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\VisioProXVolume - en-us\VisioProXVolume - en-us