Cutover migration with already setup Azure AD and SSO

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

We are looking at doing a cutover migration with our current Exchange 2010 DAG setup to exchange online.

We have about 112 users to move so going with the cutover. We're going that way also to remove the ned of having an onsite exchange presents.

Only thing that's I've been reading about is that you need to disable DirSync to perform the cutover migration. 

My question(s) are

1. Will disabling DirSync (which will move all users into the deleted users) stop SSO access to our over products we use day in and day out.

2. Does having an already synced Azure AD impact on the migration, IE will it duplicate users/mailboxes

3. Does having no exchange presences onsite with DirSync enabled (After migration) cause issues? we have no plan on moving back to onsite. We do plan on keeping users onsite and in azure with the Sync

Thanks a bunch, I cant find any documentation that covers our specific scenario 

1 Reply

Hey @JakeJoint ,

There are a few challenges here, to answer your questions first:

1. Disabling Dirsync will not delete the users, the users will be converted to in cloud with same password. However, if you are planning to perform a cutover migration, having users with same domain in office 365 would cause issues. Cutover migration process basically creates the users on its own in office 365, if the same users are present in office 365 cutover migration will fail.

2. Cutover migration requires dirsync to be disabled and there should not be any users present in office 365, so you will have to disable dirsync and delete in-cloud the users from office 365 ( if they are provisioned with same upn).

3. It is not a requirement to have exchange server on-premises after migration, you manage user attributes in a synced environment using active directory users and computers.

All things considered is there any specific reason you are opting for cutover migration  ? a hybrid migration will be best with your current environment.