Microsoft 365 network connectivity test tool now with report sharing is released to preview

Microsoft

We’re excited to announce a new preview release of the Microsoft 365 network connectivity test tool at https://connectivity.office.com today.

This update builds on the existing features (network connection map, 20+ network connectivity tests) and adds a connection to your Microsoft 365 tenant so you can submit your test report to your administrator in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center. The update also features a new, streamlined user interface and updated documentation.

tech-home-page-1.png

The tool shows elements detected from your network perimeter in a map:

tech-perimeter-map-2.png

We are maintaining all the existing tests we currently run:

1. Network backhaul distance from the user to the network egress
  2. In use Exchange Online service front door
  3. Comparative performance of Microsoft 365 customers near you
  4. Time to make a DNS request on your network
  5. Distance to your DNS recursive resolver
  6. Distance to y our proxy server if one is detected
  7. Your VPN if one is detected and evaluation of whether you are following split tunnel guidance
  8. Exchange Online service front door network latency
  9. Best Exchange Online service front doors for your location
  10. The in-use Exchange Online DNS entry
  11. SharePoint Online service front door latency
  12. SharePoint and OneDrive download speed
  13. Buffer bloat while under download load
  14. SharePoint Online service front door DNS entry
  15. Microsoft Teams media connectivity
  16. UDP Packet loss
  17. UDP latency
  18. UDP jitter
  19. TCP Connectivity tests to all required Microsoft 365 URLs
  20. Detection of any SSL break and inspect intermediary devices on Microsoft 365 URLs
  21. Traceroute details for each service front door for Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, and Microsoft Teams

Documentation for the tool and each of the tests can be found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/enterprise/office-365-network-mac-perf-onboarding-tool

NEW: Connection to your Microsoft 365 tenant and ability to submit test reports to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center.

You do not need to sign in to run the tests and see results, but if you sign in you are then able to share test reports with your administrators, your account team at Microsoft, your coworkers, and with anyone using a deep link URL. Sharing with coworkers and with a deep link URL are controlled by the tenant administrator.

By default, the deep link URL sharing is disabled in connectivity.office.com but an Administrator can enable it.

tech-result-details-share-3.png

Coworker sharing is enabled by default for connectivity.office.com but can be disabled by an administrator. Once you have shared the report, send the other user(s) a link to https://connectivity.office.com/reports and ask them to sign-in.

tech-share-4.png

You can review test reports that you previously ran while signed in by selecting the Reports node.

tech-shared-5.png

There is also a page showing the status of Microsoft’s global network and any issues impacting Microsoft 365.

tech-health-status-6.png

Tenant administrators with the Report Reader role can view the network test reports under Health -> Network Connectivity (preview).

tech-admin-center-7a.png

32 Replies
It appears that the tool doesn't take into account when you've spilt tunneled the data traffic but need to leave the authentication flows via a proxy for tenant restrictions/conditional access. I show that my network connection is in MA, but that is only for my authentication traffic and not the data traffic. In the office, I use Express route so my data traffic goes to central NC and then directly to a POP for MS. Love the idea around this and glad we can now direct people to get some details, but if I show end users this, all they will see is the red alert for egress location which isn't correct with how their data is actually reaching MS.

This looks good, Is there any API which I can use to do the test?  Eg. my PC call an API and that API will connect to Office Apps and you give test result in Json file format(Like egress location, score, latency etc.)?

@Paul Andrew 
It would be nice if we could export te results to for example Excel. We are troubleshooting Teams connectivity issues and i have to run the tool many times from different locations. Would be great if it was easy to collect all these results

Hello, about this:
"Sharing with coworkers and with a deep link URL are controlled by the tenant administrator."
Where is this exactly being controlled?
At the moment we seem to be able to send the report to a coworker, but the reports never arrive.

Sharing controls are in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center under Health -> Network Connectivity -> Settings -> Sharing and user-submitted reports.

FYI There is no email sent when a report is shared. The receiving user should navigate to https://connectivity.office.com/reports to see them.

@Paul Andrew many thanks for your answer. Our settings are as below. Quite many people tried to share their report with me in the past 2 days, but my Reports shared with me section shows still 0. Any idea why this would be? Does it take some longer time for the reports to arrive by any chance? 

Btw, I also tried sharing the report with one of our back office admins and also nothing arrived on his side.

Reports appear immediately for the receiving user at https://connectivity.office.com/reports but you must be in the same Office 365 organization. Your settings look correct to me.
As far as I know we are in the same 'Office 365' organization (same tenant, same domain). Is there any place where I can double check it?
Our support partner tested on their side and when they send reports to members of their organization they also do not arrive, FYI.
The share feature is broken. We cannot share the network connectivity reports to each other. We have to "Print as PDF" and then have them attach it to an email. Do you know if anyone is looking into this or any update on when it will be working again?

@JustinDanielVUMC @AnetaKotucha please check the report sharing. The issue you saw with report sharing should be resolved now. -- Paul

Many thanks for fixing this Paul, the functionality works now. I can see now the sharing history and with whom I shared my reports. I also receive reports shared by others. This will help us greatly!
Thanks Paul, I was able to confirm that I'm able to share reports now. Thank you so much! Appreciate the quick response.