Poll: Feedback on the use of "on-demand" in Danish

Poll: Feedback on the use of "on-demand" in Danish

Upvotes

Upvote

Nov 09 2018
8 Comments (8 New)
Completed

Hi,

I am currently contemplating suggestion a change of the translation of "on-demand". We currently use "efter behov". However, in my experience the English term "on-demand" is frequently used by Danes. So I would like to have your opinion on which Danish term is most often used.

1) efter behov

2) on-demand

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.

Kind regards,

Marie (Danish Language Moderator)

Comments
Bronze Contributor

I think it depends on context.

You're right that a lot of English terms are used in the Danish language but IMHO I think you should use Danish terms whenever they are used in the daily spoken language.

On-demand in Danish is mostly used when talking about ie. print, tv, delivery from the internet and so on.

So in this case I think (without knowing the context) that I would keep "Efter behov"

Regards,

Jørgen

Microsoft

Hi @Jørgen Koch thanks for your thoughts on this! Staff 

Microsoft

Hi Jørgen

I would also like to thank you for your comment on this. And I apologize for not adding context to my idea. This would of course help when providing feedback.

I can add that usually "on-demand" is used in Microsoft texts to indicate that the user can access documents, videos, tutorials etc. "on-demand", so with this context in mind, "on-demand" would actually work in Danish.

According to the Danish dictionary, Den Danske Ordbog, "on-demand" is actually an approved term in Danish and has the definition "udført på bestilling eller til rådighed når behovet melder sig" (https://ordnet.dk/ddo/ordbog?query=on-demand), so the term can be used in Danish without being too much of an Anglicism.

Furthermore, as you know Danish is highly influenced by the English language, which also helps the language develop and progress. So I believe when the English term becomes so "common" in Danish to cover a specific concept, we need to adjust our translations to reflect the everyday use.

I highly appreciate your feedback and value a discussion about this particular term.

Kind regards,

Marie (Danish Language Moderator)

Bronze Contributor

Hi Marie

In that context I agree with you that "on-demand" is a better term than "efter behov".

Generally, I don't think the Danish language progresses if we are using more and more English words WHEN we have perfectly Danish words meaning exactly the same, but again—it depends on the context.

In my world, there is a big difference between "would work" and "is approved" and how the average Dane speaks in their daily spoken and specially written communication (in a written letter to an end-user I would write: "Du kan downloade filerne efter behov" og ikke "Du kan downloade filerne on-demand" (already using "downloade" instead of "hente" ;- ).

So again, its all about context.

Regards,

Jørgen

I also appreciate our common effort making the Danish Office applications better and better.

Microsoft

Hi again Jørgen,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I agree completely with your points.

I'll discuss the translation with the translators as well in order to have more opinions on this :)

And I'll post  :) the final outcome here.

Thanks,

Marie

Bronze Contributor

;)

Microsoft
Status changed to: Working on it

Microsoft
Status changed to: Completed