SOLVED

How to leverage non-PDF documents

Copper Contributor

I have enabled Microsoft 365 extension and Bing Chat Enterprise only appears to be able to read from PDF documents leveraging Copilot.  Is there a configuration that must be enabled or is this just not yet available for other document types?

12 Replies
Seconded. Also, it also seems that we can't use it to read documents stored in OneDrive or SharePoint which is inconvenient because it requires users to download the file and, open the file location, right-click on the file and choose Open With > Edge. Not exactly intuitive.

Please see my post on how to accomplish this via the Microsoft 365 extension.  I have noticed that unless the user has this file downloaded to their specific OneDrive it wont work, however, it does work when the user has it in their specific OneDrive account.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/bing-chat-enterprise/bing-chat-enterprise-presentation-feel-f...

This does not seem to work. When I open up a PDF from my own OneDrive (after installing the M365 extension) I get a description of the OneDrive web page when I ask it to Generate a Page summary.
I get this behavior also. Try ensuring no other tabs are open in your Edge browser and try refreshing your chat after you have the PDF open. This resolved that behavior for me for PDF's only.
I've done this and it still doesn't recognize the PDF itself. It recognizes the OneDrive directory page.

@agreca that’s odd.  It’s working in our environment.  Make sure the PDF is stored in your specific OneDrive and not linked from SharePoint etc I noticed this behavior also and linked drives in OneDrive do not appear to work (linked SharePoint or other linked files and drives aren’t working for me either).  Might be worth raising a MS ticket if you keep having issues in your environment.

One thing I noticed in your PowerPoint is that it doesn't appear that you're using the Enterprise version. I can tell because you don't have the green text saying "Your personal and company data are protected in this chat". That is likely why it works for you but not us.

@agreca this is not a correct assumption.  We have and leverage the enterprise bing chat version. 

Do you see the green text saying "Your personal and company data are protected in this chat.", or the "Protected" badge in the top right next to your name? If not, then it's possible the instance on your local machine is signed into a "personal" account using the same email address. I had this situation when we first set things up and I had to make sure I signed out of my personal account (that I don't even remember making using my corporate email address) and sign in using the Work account method.
It does have the protected text. I might recommend raising a case directly with MS on your issue.
best response confirmed by RobertSchneider1234 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

My apologies @RobertSchneider1234 I double-checked your document and see now that you were using the Enterprise.. I apparently did not have enough coffee this morning... I also think I found out where the issue lies. I was finally able to get the sidebar to answer within the context of a OneDrive PDF but I had to do the following:

1) Click on the (...) on the document > choose to Open Location

2) Click on the (...) on the document > choose Open > Open in Browser

Then I was able to ask it questions about the document. Before, for some reason it would only see the OneDrive directory page and answer questions about that page.

What is most important is that I can now open up PDFs from my OneDrive using Windows Explorer by using Open With > Microsoft Edge. So I think your solution of installing the Microsoft 365 extension is the missing piece.

Thank you for your help and my apologies again.

Hi @RobertSchneider1234,

I wanted to share this with you as it just came to my attention that the M365 Browser Extension will be EOL as of Jan 2024: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/office/end-of-support-for-the-microsoft-365-browser-extension-dc...

That being said, I have done some additional testing more recently and I'm now thinking some fixes may have been put in place with Copilot (formerly BCE) because I no longer need the extension installed in order to view PDFs stored in OneDrive and SharePoint locations.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RobertSchneider1234 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

My apologies @RobertSchneider1234 I double-checked your document and see now that you were using the Enterprise.. I apparently did not have enough coffee this morning... I also think I found out where the issue lies. I was finally able to get the sidebar to answer within the context of a OneDrive PDF but I had to do the following:

1) Click on the (...) on the document > choose to Open Location

2) Click on the (...) on the document > choose Open > Open in Browser

Then I was able to ask it questions about the document. Before, for some reason it would only see the OneDrive directory page and answer questions about that page.

What is most important is that I can now open up PDFs from my OneDrive using Windows Explorer by using Open With > Microsoft Edge. So I think your solution of installing the Microsoft 365 extension is the missing piece.

Thank you for your help and my apologies again.

View solution in original post