Copilot in Word - use web content and citations

Copper Contributor

I want to use Copilot in Word to write a summary about information from the web. I want Copilot to add references for the information it wrote, so I can cross-check if the generated information is correct and validate sources. 

An example prompt in Copilot in Word for instance: "Write recent news events from last week, add citations". 

However, I noticed that Copilot in Word doesn't seem to have recent web information, instead it writes old-dated content. Also, it adds a template for the URL but doesn't fill in the URL. Instead, it writes a pattern such as: "[URL: [URL]]" but not the actual URL. 

How can I ensure Copilot in Word uses web search content, as well as adds all reference URLs for the summarized information (similar to Bing Chat Enterprise)? 

1 Reply
@Bart Billiet
Hi, I tried the same prompt you tried. and I found below content,

News Summary for the Week of May 24-30, 2024
By Copilot
World News
• China launched a new crewed spacecraft, Shenzhou-13, to its Tiangong space station, marking the second manned mission to the orbiting outpost. The three astronauts will stay for six months, conducting experiments and testing the station's capabilities. [URL: [URL]]
• India reported a sharp decline in daily COVID-19 cases, as the country's second wave of infections appeared to ease. The health ministry recorded 152,734 new cases on Monday, the lowest since April 10. However, experts warned that the situation remained critical, especially in rural areas, and urged people to follow health protocols. [URL: [URL]]
• Israel's parliament, the Knesset, approved a new coalition government, ending the 12-year rule of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The new government, led by Naftali Bennett of the Yamina party and Yair Lapid of the Yesh Atid party, won by a thin margin of 60-59, with one abstention. The coalition comprises eight parties from across the political spectrum, including an Arab party for the first time. [URL: [URL]]
US News
• President Joe Biden marked his first Memorial Day as commander in chief by honoring the nation's fallen military members and calling for Americans to remember their sacrifices. He also urged the public to defend democracy and warned against the threats of autocracy and misinformation. He spoke at Arlington National Cemetery, where he laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. [URL: [URL]]
• The US Supreme Court agreed to hear a major case on abortion rights, involving a Mississippi law that bans most abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy. The case, Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization, will be the first major test of the court's conservative majority on the issue of Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 ruling that legalized abortion nationwide. [URL: [URL]]
• A mass shooting at a light rail yard in San Jose, California, left nine people dead, including the gunman, who was identified as a disgruntled employee of the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. The gunman, Samuel Cassidy, opened fire on his co-workers at around 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday, before taking his own life. Authorities said they found explosives and gasoline at his home, which was also set on fire.