#WomenITPros FAQ

Microsoft

Q: What is #WomenITPros?
A: #WomenITPros supports women in tech jobs that don't involve coding - and there are lots of them, from helping deploy the code in technical consulting, running the code in IT operations, or even supporting the development of code in roles like program management, technical writing, and technical marketing! There are lots of groups out there for women interesting in coding, like www.womenwhocode.com and girlswhocode.com, and code.likeagirl.io and they are doing awesome and important work. #WomenITpros is a grassroots, volunteer initiative to show women that they can make a real contribution to the tech world without ever writing a line of code. Join us to learn more about the many options that are available, learn skills, and meet and support other women on the ITPro path.  Because if we give women the impression that they have to code to work in tech, we're missing out on talent!

Q: Is the group just for women?
A: No! We welcome anyone of any gender identity! Our mission is to support any humans who work, or want to work, in the ITPro world and identify partly or wholly as women, or even as any neutral gender. If you embrace diversity, if you want to learn more, if you want to support us, you are welcome here! #AlliesWelcome! 

Q: Do I have to be an ITPro to participate?
A: No, we welcome anyone who is interested to drop by and say hi and network with us. If you're not an ITPro but might like to be one, we encourage you to post here about where you are on your journey and ask for the help you need! And if you code, or like helping women learn to code, that's OK, too - you're welcome here!

Q: What do you mean by "ITPro"?
A: The primary focus of this community is people who enable and support delivery of IT products and services, doing work like:

• project and program management
  • day to day operations
  • improving efficiency
  • supporting and managing IT staff
  • technical infrastructure architecture design and management
  • technical support (like help desk)
  • technical consulting

Q: How do I join #WomenITPros?

A: It's not really a club, more of a "virtual watering hole". But here are some suggestions on how to get involved:

• Hang out here. Post questions and participate in discussions. We encourage you to introduce yourself in our Intro Thread.
  • Join our LinkedIn group. You have to request to join, but we'll let you in. 
  • Come to our online meet ups. Invites are posted in the User Groups forum. You can go to https://aka.ms/WITPROmeetinginvite to see upcoming agendas and get a placeholder for your calendar. We also keep recordings in the Member Resources for this community - you have to both login to the TechCommunity site and join the Humans of IT community, but it's free. 
  • Connect with other women ITPros and allies in real time. If you're going to a conference or event or user group, post in this forum and let people know. Use the private message feature in TechCommunity to reach out to people you'd like to get to know better.
    • If you're in the US and going to a user group or conference and message me, I will mail you a #WomenITPros laptop sticker! 
  • Give back to the community. Mentor women who are interested in getting into ITPro jobs or advancing in their ITPro careers. Find groups in your area that are focused on getting girls interested in technology. Help them arrange speakers and hands-on activities to talk about the non-coding parts of the tech world.
    • Tips: Check out TechGirlz.org - they have FREE tech workshops in a box that aren't code-centered! You can see the recording of our meeting with them here.
    • Check out the Community Mentors mobile app to find a mentor or offer mentorship to someone else. 
    • Volunteer for TEALS and help with the Computer Science Principles course, which explores more than just programming. We'll have TEALS as a guest on our #WomenITPros call in March 2020 for their next big recruiting drive, but you don't need to wait! 
  • Spread the word! This is for anyone who wants to support getting more women in non-coding parts of the tech industry, women, men, outside Microsoft, inside Microsoft, anywhere in the world.

Q: Is this just a Microsoft thing?
A: This space to organize on this wonderful humans of IT community is sponsored by Microsoft, but the discussion is not exclusive to Microsoft. Anyone can join us! Getting more women into tech, and making women feel welcome in tech, is much more important than drawing company lines. If you have suggestions and connections for speakers or topics for anything ITPro-related, let us know. We are open to all individual and companies, and discussing any kind of tech product, service, career advice, mentoring... tell us your ideas!

Q: What if I have more questions?
A: I'm Cathy and I facilitate the #WomenITPros community. Send me a private message, @ me here, or tweet me at @CxPCathy. We look forward to getting to know you!

Remember, tech is about more than coding, and there's a place for you and your skills in the ITPro world!

0 Replies