SOLVED

User Group for ITPro Women

Microsoft

Are you interested in helping support women ITPros, and support women moving into community leadership roles in the ITPro community? We're starting a virtual User Group for ITPro Women.

Join us! 

There are lots of organizations that want to help women code, but we want to focus more on women who keep the code running, doing work like:

• day-to-day operation of networks, servers, clients, and devices
  • help desk
  • network architecture design
  • information security management

We also want to include women who work in other aspects of information technology aimed at keeping clients and servers up and running, like

• program/project/people management related to IT
  • technical training
  • technical marketing
  • technical communications

We'll welcome anyone of any gender who wants to participate in a safe space to talk about the challenges women face in a field with a lack of gender diversity. The goals are to network, support women learning technical and professional skills, and help women find mentors.

If you're interested in participating, reply to this post and tell me:

1. What are the best times of day for you to Skype into a meeting? (please include your time zone)
  2. What should we call this new user group? 

If there's interest, I'll pick a time and post the information here for our first virtual meeting.
(subscribe to this conversation to get email updates)

Please spread the word!

87 Replies

An update! We've been running "#WomenITPros" calls on the 4th Friday at noon Pacific time since May 2018, and in July 2019 we'll have our first Asia/Pacific time zone meeting, at noon Sydney-time, AEST. The Europe meetings sputtered, but if someone wants to take up that agenda and run with it, I can provide advice and support. I'd love to see more meetings around the world, focusing on issues specific to your country/region and at a time that is likely to work for you! Keep watching this User Groups community in Diversity and Tech for invites to the calls, and join the Member Resources group to get access to the recordings of past calls. Hope you can join us! 

@Cathy Moya Is this User Group still active? I don't see any posts on this thread in the last year.

Hi, @SherylB, yes, very active just not adding on this thread anymore. Click on level up to "Connect with Humans of IT" and you'll see all the events getting posted. :stareyes:

We also tweet them with #WomenITPros  

เราจากประเทศไทยเป็นประเทศเล็ก ๆที่ยังไม่มีความรู้ข้อมูล"iT"ฉันสนใจแต่ไม่มีที่ให้เราแสดง ออกให้เราบ้าง การศึกษาเราไม่สู้งแต่เราก็สนใจโทรศัพท์เสียไป 3 เครื่องแล้วเราก็ยังไมรู้

@_Sirisa_caretaker90 I ran your post through Bing translator, but it didn't translate well. I think you are saying you are from Thailand and you are trying to find opportunities to learn tech. We have some Microsoft Most Valued Professionals in Thailand. I would suggest reaching out to them. If you look at each profile, you can see the social media they use like Twitter and LinkedIn and get in touch with them. 

Find an MVP (microsoft.com)

http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/MvpSearch?lo=Thailand&sc=e 

Hope that helps!

Cathy

Me too.i am here🙋‍:female_sign:
I'm still out here. A former MVP, a long time server admin and IT Pro. Currently helping my clients through the pandemic with everything in the cloud (being in the cloud seems to increase my responsibilities not decrease them. So much for getting rid of IT by going to the cloud, LOL).

Women in IT that aren't developers are needed now more than ever. And to think that being a developer, and developer topics, is all the girls in STEM or ladies who seek out technology events get. They get girls who code, not girls who manage million dollar, multi-national IT administration. But we are out there. We deal with discrimination every day. But we are here.

@Cathy Moya Absolutely. I'm in higher education myself.