Start a New User Group

Iron Contributor

How does one go about starting a User Group in an area that does not have one?

12 Replies
Hey Shaun,

I've just started one for powerapps.

Best thing is to find to official UG site if a microsoft thing and contact them.

If there is no official platform then try using meetup.com. Get on Twitter Facebook LinkedIn, ask in your area ect.

Thanks

Hi, Shaun, If you know MVPs in your area or in your technology space, reach out to them. Many of them have started user groups before and can give you tips. 

You can find the list of MVPs at mvp.microsoft.com 

@Cathy Moya wrote:

Hi, Shaun, If you know MVPs in your area or in your technology space, reach out to them. Many of them have started user groups before and can give you tips. 

You can find the list of MVPs at mvp.microsoft.com 

@Cathy Moya  Good point, where can I find a list of MVPs in my area? (I do not think there is one close to where I am located.)

There's a search tool at https://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/MvpSearch?kw=&x=16&y=12 but it only shows by country and depending on the country you're in, that might or might not get you close. You could also tweet #MVPs and ask if there is someone in your area or your technology focus who could help. 

Hi Shaun,

Where are you located? I might know someone from the SharePoint community who can help you.

Theresa

@Techresa wrote:

Hi Shaun,

Where are you located? I might know someone from the SharePoint community who can help you.

Theresa

Located in El Dorado, AR.

Mark Rackley is an MVP in Harrison, AR. I will see if there are any MVPs closer to you.

What type of user group do you want to start? (SharePoint, Office 365, SQL, Business Intelligence, PowerApps, Flow, all things Microsoft, etc.)

Do you want the group to meet in El Dorado or in/closer to Little Rock?

@Techresa  Thank you for helping. I am wanting to start whatever MS User Group that is needed in the area. I would prefer that it is in El Dorado as I do enough travel to Little Rock already. 

I will put the question on Twitter using #MVPBuzz. If you're on Twitter, please reply with your handle.

Hi. I am from a city that doesn't do a lot of local meetups. Do anyone have experience doing online meetups?
Hey there, our community team is also building an "Event In a Box" file that will help establish (and aspiring) User Group Leaders get the content + resources they need to host events. Stay tuned!