Do we need Certification?

Silver Contributor

There are discussions about sitting for an exam or certification and in some cases, having certification is the requirement to get hired to a company. However , there are following arguments:

1) Certification does not proves you are an expert

2) There is no guarantee not having certification meaning you are not an expert

3) During exam, you might get lucky and see all questions you know or be unlucky and see questions you don't know.

4) Industry experience shows having or not having certification doesn't proves anything

Therefore, I believe the certification shouldn't be requirement for an hiring process and instead we need to focus on knowledge and expertise with other means and getting certified should be placed as an option.

20 Replies
Hi @Reza_Ameri ,

I agree. A Certification doesn't proves you are an expert.

But it shows that you are at least motivated to learn for your job.

The best thing is, if you create a challenge for your candidates.

Best regards,
Schnittlauch

"First, No system is safe. Second, Aim for the impossible. Third no Backup, no Mercy" - Schnittlauch

My answer helped you? Don't forget to leave a like. Also mark the answer as solved when your problem is solved. :)

Thank you @Schnittlauch for your post.

I believe certification could be one option in advancing career but it should be mandatory.

Let say, I don't like positions stating you must have a ... certificate.

I know several IT Professionals who are great in what they are doing but because they have been busy, they never sit for a certificate.

+1
Not to mention the whole issue of the certification requires you to use your driver's license/birth name, and there is a whole host of people who do not want to be outed by their certifications. Can you imagine, having to hide the certifications you did earn, because you just don't want deal with the identity conflict?
Some certifications are the must like the driving license , you must proof you are capable of driving a vehicle and the driving license certify it. It is not the issue with hiding the certificate, but it is more like if you don't have a certificate we won't even consider interviewing you. Technical Certificate also are different story, the driving license for example is approved by governments and recognized by the U.N. but technical certificates are from the private companies and method of the evaluation is still under question.
Companies that are Microsoft partners are a special case here- they want their employees to be certified because (as well as all the good points already mentioned in this thread); having a certain number of people with certain certifications counts towards some competencies. If you've heard a company saying something like 'we're a Microsoft gold partner', that's a competency they've earned.
True, however consider this case, there are several technical experts and volunteers like in this forum who don't hold certificate but they are experts and helping people in this community.

@Reza_Ameri I absolutely agree. I think companies place too much emphasis on certification.

True, certification is good but in the world of IT is not the only concern. Personally, I consider someone as expert who share several valuable insights in forum and helps companies so they proof they know what they are doing in years. Compare to someone who sit for few hours exam.

But @Reza_Ameri, you are a bit biased, since that's what you do. For those of us in the world, taking the exam is an important part of proving your technical knowledge of a product that the company who created the product, knows you need to know to master it to a certain level. Companies require certifications before a person is hired to work on a Microsoft product or platform, or before they can be promoted. Certifications are a tried and true measure of investment and intent of the person taking the exam. If the person needs a confidence boost, to overcome imposter syndrome, there's nothing like passing an exam in their field or focus of study. Exams have a value beyond answering questions correctly in a forum. Any forum. Exam takers don't just "sit a few hours to take the exam." They invest weeks of class taking and study, buying resources like practice exams and study material. They spend hours on labs alone. It is almost insulting that you brush off the investment they make to get to those few hours they spend taking the exam. It's as if you are trying to swing the pendulum towards your favorite technical community investment, what you have done in a specific forum., at the expense of the usefulness of technical exams. Don't get me wrong, helping others in the community is a good thing. Although most of us don't do it to get recognition or use it to get a job. They both are good ways to show your knowledge in what you have done. It can be a silo of your experience, and not as broad as the whole product itself. It can also be a cult of personality, and the person can give an incomplete or wrong answer, then be marked as a solution just to close the thread. I don't think you should hate on exams. They are used, especially by big companies, as a good earmark concerning a person's willingness to pass or fail to prove their technical knowledge in a formal setting. 

Let me clarify a bit, exam is just a few hours test, it is a mean to prove expertise but it not a definite evidence. I am sharing this from experience that I have seen people with list of certificates but they are less knowledgeable than someone who doesn't have any certificate. However, I never seen anyone who is active in forum with less knowledge and expertise. It is impossible to prove expertise in just few hours exam and it has to be evaluated in many years. The current method for examination is wrong and bias and I believe the expertise should be proven over a long time. I also consider those who are doing regular public speaker as experts even if they don't hold certificate.

@Reza_Ameri You are comparing apples to oranges, and saying that one must be destroyed because it isn't the same as the other. I can prove that a lot of responses in forums are wrong, or incomplete. Not everyone there who posts is competent. Some are just doing it to fill a profile with posts, any posts. And often they can get into a position of marking their posts correct, even if they aren't. No, forums are a good place to look to see if anyone else has the same problem, but it never guarantees a solution.

Forums are not a perfect place to find experts. Nor is public speaking. I have been a public speaker for decades. I was a MVP, and spoke at big conferences around the world. I was a proven expert, but many, many speakers (and some MVPs) are not experts either. I have known presenters who only knew exactly what was in the slides for an hour long session, and no more. I even knew of someone who watched someone else's youtube video, and just basically copied it in their own words, and presented it at an event. There are very, very rarely (as in never) qualifiers to speaking except applying, having spoken elsewhere, or having someone vouch for you. None of these guarantee the person is good or knowledgeable (the vouching helps, because it hurts the voucher's standing if the vouchee actually sucks)

Certifications are a way to measure someone's intent to invest in learning the, potentially grueling, details about a product. To master it enough to pass a certain level of exam. Yes, it doesn't not in itself replace the need for real world experience. Absolutely. But it's apples and oranges here, they are not the same. Answering questions in a forum is not the same as taking an exam. Neither is perfect. But if a person is challenged by a proven track record of *actually* giving the correct answer in forums, *and* taking the risk of speaking publicly, *and* passing the exams, then you know they probably know their stuff. But to invalidate exams because there are forums, is not reasonable. It's as if you're saying, I prefer forums, so get rid of exams. They all have their purpose.

Well, what I am saying is like I am not agree with term like you MUST hold certain certification otherwise you are rejected. In case, exam be one factor for evaluation then I consider it. However, when there is a case like in case you do NOT hold any certification then you are rejected , then this is where I have objection.

As for the forum, you are right but we could look into the profile of the user and randomly select some of their posts and see how they are doing. I am not saying we have to get ride of exams but basically I disagree with the fact like because you do NOT have certification, then you are rejected.
Ah! Now I am seeing what you are saying. Yes, the certification should not be the one and only measure of technical skill and knowledge. It's just a benchmark. It let's people know you are serious about wanting to know the product. That you're proven to know the product well enough to pass an official exam from the Company that created the product, or an organization, like CompTIA, that enforces a certain standard in knowledge of a technical field.

However, like getting a degree- it's not the *only* way to show proficiency. And literally proving the job by correctly supporting others in the field with correct, kind, and respectful solutions can go a long way, *if* the interviewer/recruiter/broker actually knows how to read threads in a forum, and knows how to pick out the good members from those that just spam the forums.

I also want to touch on something- a lot of people don't thrive in standardized test environments. To be transparent, I am one of them. I've been an MCT for decades, which means I have been deeply entrenched in the "have to take an exam to teach the class" ecosystem- and I *still* struggled with every exam. Adding to that, I have had an eye injury that is making reading harder and harder, and I sometimes struggle to sit still and silent while managing my increasing anxiety as the clock runs out and I don't finish enough questions. I *know* that some people really aren't built to take the exams. And yeah, you can claim a disability and ask for help with extra time, or in my case, lower resolution so the words are bigger or high contrast themes- but do you know how humiliating and involved it is to ask Microsoft for an exception for a disability, no matter how small? It's kind of a nightmare. They get to judge you on a case by case basis and *they* who likely have never had a disability in their lives, get to decide whether you're right about your limitations. Can you imagine how discouraging it is to have someone at Microsoft get back to you and say your weakness, that you had to admit to strangers, isn't considered valid enough for help? And you have to bring it up for every exam.

And that's not to even go into how expensive the exams and the study materials are. Or how not everyone has the resources, like their own computer, good internet access, means to get the trials for the inevitably expensive subscriptions they need to study cloud products, and finish studying before the trial time runs out... Not everyone has that kind of cash or time to spend on an exam they may not pass the first time.

I get it if someone has to find a different route to prove their expertise. And I don't disagree that forums can, if the person interviewing you gets it, have their use. It is a struggle to stand out in the crowd of applications to prove yourself. And I think Microsoft's forums, frankly, have a long way to go to be respected and useful like other forums are. There are no checks and balances here. There used to be, to a certain degree, but those days have long passed.

To the point of alternatives-
-Public speaking does really help- user groups, free local mini-conferences (like the SharePoint Saturdays of old), then when you're known, to Microsoft events and technical conferences. You leave yourself open to real, in your face right there, criticism if you aren't good. (but even then, people with charisma can just fake it all the way through, when you *know* they don't really know all that much)
-Demonstrating what you know on a youtube channel (you know, don't just talk about it, prove it),
-Consistently writing useful and informative pieces in blogs,
-And publishing books (real publishers, with real editors, especially technical editors- they are really useful to put you through your paces).

There are alternatives to exams- but exams have a real use in the industry for good reason. It's a good, short hand way for employers to know what you know, no matter if you have the life experience to have done it all yet.

Sorry for the length, but I felt I needed to let you know if I understand what you're really saying, and how I understand it. I am not brushing off alternatives to exams, there have to be some. And I wish there was a more widespread, effective way for recruiters/interviewers to respect those alternatives in a formal manner, like exams. Exams are one size fits all, and it short changes everyone if it is the only, exclusive proof available.

1) Certification does not show expertise, but it shows knowledge of the basics.
2) I would agree with the premise that certification, or lack thereof, does not show whether or not a person is an expert.
3) Exams are always a roll of the dice. Study everything to learn the material, not just to learn the test.
4) Industry experience is key, but if two people have the same experience and one earned a certification, the certified person usually gets the job. It shows they took the extra step. Some companies also need a number of people certified in different roles and that comes into play during hiring.

I was recruited when I started looking for work in the Seattle area and had set up some informational interviews. My degrees and work experience allowed me to land the job without a formal certification in the IT field. My personal goal is to get a certification this year as it helps in marketing the company I work for and if I ever leave here, I will also be more marketable.

Please understand that hiring people is hard. Being a person who has been on the hiring side, anything that helps me see the skill level of the person I am hiring helps. (Confession: I don't read cover letters unless the resume shows they can do the job and then only if I have already selected them for an interview or I need to thin out the top applicants.)

It depends, well I have seen cases where they prefer hiring someone with more certificates compare to those without certificate. However, in case there are two people with equal skills and one with certificate, hiring him or her (considering they had a fair interview) then it makes sense. There are companies who are supporting their employees to get certificate. For example, I have seen company like they said if you sit for a certificate in relevant topic and gain it, we will pay the cost of exam. Such policy is cool and motivative, but what I am not agree is like blocking you and tell you that you must have these certificate. For example, I have done several presentations about IT in English, and I am speaking English with my clients every day. However, there are place who are asking me like you must have English certificate otherwise we don't even process your application. This is what I am really against. Not giving chance to someone because they have no certificate.

@Reza_Ameri 

1) No demuestra que es un experto, pero si una gran aproximación a ello. Por la garantía y confianza que da el haberse certificado. También queda demostrado que solo la preparación profesional no es suficiente, regularmente so egresan como técnicos generalistas, siempre hará falta la certificación, inclusive a falta de experiencia. gracias

I'm not sure, how does my profile look? Would you perhaps consider my engagement in this post helpful...
Thank you for your comment, but I am not agree.
Let say we have someone with good practical experience and doing his or her job really well and is the best in the field but never had time or motivation to sit for exam. Will you reject such application only because the person lack certification? Then if that is the case, it is unfair.