Come meet #WomenITPros in AltspaceVR! Friday, June 12, 3:30-5pm PT

Microsoft

We need community even more in times of social distancing. I just found out this week that a) Microsoft owns AltspaceVR, and that b) you can join that online, real-time, virtual community even if you don't have a VR headset! That's right, you can use a free app in Windows 10 to join in 2D mode and it's still Very Cool!

We're doing some informal hang out time in AltspaceVR on the second Friday of the month. The time will vary for now; if we find a time that seems to get more people, we may set it for the future. For now, check out the invite below to add it to your calendar.  I will be "there" during that time for anyone who wants to get all Avatar-y and come by to say Hi. As always, our meetups are open to everyone, not just women, not just ITPros. 

I am still a total N00B in Altspace so we can be N00Bs together, unless you are already experienced and want to join us to show us some ropes. I got my head stuck looking up and couldn't figure out how to get down again for ages, but I eventually figured it out. We can help each other.

Here's what you need to get started:

1. Install the app here on Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/altspacevr/9nvr7mn2fchq?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Or get it in Steam on the platform of your choice: https://store.steampowered.com/app/407060/AltspaceVR/

Or if you have a compatible VR headset, use that. More info here: https://altvr.com/

1. After you get it installed, you'll need to create an account and agree to the terms of service. You can set up your name card, which includes a unique username and also a name that doesn't need to be unique. For example, I'm WurdGurl but my nametag that you'd see if you hover over my avatar says Cathy. I'll answer to either.

1. After you log in with your account, you can customize your avatar. For now I’m rocking some pink hair.

1. There's a tutorial and you really should do it. I found it a bit tricky because the keystrokes I saw in the help didn't include everything and I couldn't figure out how to turn around for a while. I'll include some notes below with my experience.

1. After you have your account and go through the tutorial, come back here and click the link below to enter the event 

https://account.altvr.com/events/1465456331426103761

I can only speak to the Windows 10 experience, but here are my tips and tricks.

• You should use an audio headset with a microphone. If you don't, when anyone else speaks, there is an annoying echo. If you don't have a headset, come anyway, but stay on mute unless you are talking. 
  • It worked MUCH better from my wired desktop than my WiFi Surface Pro 6.
  • It worked MUCH better with a mouse than doing it all by keyboard, though basic movement was fine using my arrow keys.
  • Click and hold down your right mouse button as you move your mouse and that will turn your avatar in that direction. It's actually turning your head, so you can click and hold your right mouse button and use it to nod your head up and down, or even give your avatar more human movement when talking with someone. 
  • You can click your left button to teleport to a spot further away, but I found just using the arrow keys was easiest for little walks.
  • Left/right arrows turn you left and right. Or you can use Q (left) E (right) instead of arrows. 
  • Up arrow moves you forward, down arrow makes you back up. Or you can use W (forward) and S (back)
  • Some things you can't do with arrows: A and D make you sidestep left and right. They call it "strafing". Also F makes you look up and V makes you look down.
  • If an object lets you interact, you can click an object with your left button to pick it up, and right button to drop it.  To throw an object, hold your left mouse button and move the mouse forward as you let go of the button. It takes a few tries to get it right. 

Hope you can join us in Altspace!

AltspaceVRAltspaceVR

0 Replies