SOLVED

WSUS Configuration Manager failed to configure upstream server settings on WSUS

Iron Contributor

Hello,

I'm receiving the following error:

WSUS Configuration Manager failed to configure upstream server settings on WSUS Server

Possible cause: WSUS Server version 3.0 SP2 or above is not installed or cannot be contacted.
Solution: Verify that the WSUS Server version 3.0 SP2 or greater is installed. Verify that the IIS ports configured in the site are same as those configured on the WSUS IIS website.

WSUS Configuration Manager will not be able to configure WSUS Server "CMServerName.domain.local" as the WSUS Server remoting API's of version 3.0 SP2 or greater are not installed on this site server.

WCM.log

Failed to create assembly name object for Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration. Error = 0x80131701.

Remote configuration failed on WSUS Server.

Setting new configuration state to 3 (WSUS_CONFIG_FAILED)

I've removed SUP role, IIS and Software Update Service and re-installed again without luck, SUP on separated server, it was working without issues.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Abdul Jalil Abou Alzahab (Iron Contributor)
Solution
You'll need to install the WSUS console on your site server (not the full WSUS role). It can be found under the Remote Administration Tools in the Features (from the top of my head). The WCM needs the WSUS console modules in order to access the remote SUP.

@Michiel Overweel Thanks for update.

As mentioned SUP was working fine, I'm still not sure what happen exactly, so what I did basically I removed WSUS console from Remote Administration Tools restart the server and re-install again, then the sync start, I've checked everything except this one :).

and what confusing is the last change I did is to configure "Use Configuration Manager-generated certificates for HTTP site systems."

Hello Michael, i seem te have the same problem. where exactly can i install wsus on my site server? i can‘t seem to find it.

@chris2080 In a nutshell:

1. Start the Server Manager;
  2. Click "Manage" and then "Add Roles and Features";
  3. Click "Next" until you're on the "Features" page;
  4. In the list of features, expand "Remote Server Administration Tools" and then "Role Administration Tools";
  5. Enable "Windows Server Update Services Tools" and click "Install".
That is not a solution (or least not a working one)!

Seb

@Sebastian Cerazy It may not be the solution for your problem, but it definitely was the solution for the original poster's problem. If you let us know what your particular problem is, I'm sure we'll be able to help.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Abdul Jalil Abou Alzahab (Iron Contributor)
Solution
You'll need to install the WSUS console on your site server (not the full WSUS role). It can be found under the Remote Administration Tools in the Features (from the top of my head). The WCM needs the WSUS console modules in order to access the remote SUP.

View solution in original post