Windows OS inplace-upgrade

Copper Contributor

What could be the reason for Windows 10 in-place upgrade rolling back to Windows 7, and what could be the best way to handle this issue?

6 Replies

Aineah,

Your question is intriging, but requires some more context to give anything useful.

Simon

I have been doing an Windows 10 in-place upgrade using SCCM and manual installations from a file share. There are some PCs that complete the installation but after the last restart instead of booting Windows 10 they restore back to Windows 7. For others, users use them for some time then at some point in time they restart and revert back to Windows 7. I have not been able to know the reason why they behave this way and what I should do to correct this problem.

Aineah,

I'm sorry this is outside my knowledge, however looking at the details it looks like there could be a previous setup on SCCM forcing the windows 7 installation overwriting the win 10 installation. If this is the case it would undo the manual work being processed. Is this likely? Have you checked the SCCM logs to see if there raised events to verify if this is possible?

Rolling back doesn't seem right either, it sounds like the OS is being installed as win7.

Also are the machines dual boot? And the this is causing the confusion?

Cheers

Simon 

The computers are not dual boot. I have tried doing to do the upgrade using both an SCCM task sequence and a manual installation using a file share but they still roll back.

When upgrading via the Task Sequence method, are you checking the log files that correspond to the Task Sequence? smsts.log may provide some information into any problems that are arising during the upgrade process. Also, make sure that the antivirus is turned off on the target machine. Some AV applications will see the upgrade as hostile and kill the upgrade.

One more thing. After your build rolls back. check the the windows action and error logs to see if there was any information regarding the upgrade attempt.
C:\Windows\setupact.log
C:\Windows\setuperr.log