SCCM (W10 1809) update hung/failed now missing from Software Center

Copper Contributor

We have been pushing the W10-1809 update through SCCM to the clients, most have worked flawlessly, but those that have failed generally are no longer advertised in Software Center.  Not as failed, not as installing, not as available. It is just not there. 

The computers are in a dynamic device collection; those that have fully completed the upgrade sequence, are removed from the device collection.  These failed computers continue to show in the device collection, but fail to show the update in Software Center after the update hung and therefore failed.

How can I get the updates to show in Software Center again? 

I've deleted the cache, tried renaming the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 folders.  I can't seem to find much help elsewhere on the internet.

2 Replies

@GeoffP0877  First validate that you are not stuck in Provisioning Mode and that your CCMEXEC services are still running.. I had some get stuck in disabled state and provisioning Mode.  If that is not the case, Reset the Policy on the client and then request policy again or have you tried to uninstall the SCCM client and then reinstall it?    I did the uninstall and reinstall and when it pulled down the policy it showed up.. At the time, never thought of resetting the policy to see if that would have worked and would be a lot faster process if that worked. 

@melrose24 Thank you for that.

You were right, the one I followed up on was in provisioning mode. I cleared that, and rebooted. 

Software Center then showed it was installing, but apparently not doing anything. 

I ran the following commands: net stop winmgmt | winmgmt /resetrepository | rebooted | CCMRepair.exe

When running CCMRepair I got an error code 8, which looks like it's running. 

Then ran CCMRestart.exe.

The update was then available once again. 

Much appreciated!