SCCM & Software Center Application Deployment Capabilities

Copper Contributor
I have a question for you regarding capabilities of SCCM and deployment of software with Software Center. I am not an admin of our SCCM solution, so I am not sure where to start and figured this was the best place. :)

1. Does Software Center have the capability to have a box to which you choose what version of that software to install? So if I wanted to install OnBase through SCCM, but I wanted to allow the technician to choose which version to install through something like a drop down menu?
2. Does Software Center allow you to publish a suite of software and when you go to install, you choose which items (or clients) you want to install?
3. Going along the same lines as #2, are you able have an option where you would choose the suite of the products you are wanting to install that you can choose whether you want to install production or test?

Thanks.
3 Replies
Hey @Deleted,

While that does help and I definitely appreciate the links, I am more so looking for more specific to that applications version itself. For example, I am pushing out version 2.5 of a software, but I also want to allow the same software to have version 2.6 to be able to be installed. So while deploying an x86 and x64 version of the software is extremely easy to do, I am hoping to be able to deploy a more specific type of deployment for two specific releases of a software.

Thanks.

@Ryan_Wakefield 

1. Not really although simply creating a deployment for each version gives you this by having all versions displayed in Software Center.  You can use categories to help filter the list. Is this truly a common scenario? If so, please file a UserVoice item.

2. Not directly because ConfigMgr and Software Center don't know anything about what is being installed. ConfigMgr simply runs the command-line that you give it. You can certainly enable user interactivity and configure the command-line to show the UI for the installer though.

3. What's the difference here? It's all just a command-line to ConfigMgr. If you want the user to be able to install a certain version, deploy it to them, if you don't, don't deploy it to them. You could potentially use categories here as well also.

For #1 and #3, it really sounds like you are looking for a way to filter and refine what's presented to the interactive users. If these are important, then you should file a UserVoice for them as aside from controlling the Application name and adding categories, there's nothing else built-in today.

For #2, there's no way for ConfigMgr to know this and so that comes down to you using the UI provided by the setup routine of the software or creating your own as this is very specific to the software that you are installing.