SOLVED

Installing languages post 1803 using LXP

Brass Contributor

We are still using SCCM, in this case 1910 to deploy Windows 10.  Largely because well, Intune sucks, and Auto Pilot doesn't come close to being able to deliver our requirements.

We have a requirement to install up to two languages for a user as part of the OSD task sequence. The base OS is US English. Our requirements also insist that everything be installed prior to the user touching it (just one of the many reasons we can't use Auto Pilot).  The one that's causing us fits as we try to upgrade our standard OSD to 1909 is that we can't get languages to load.  Yes, I know we need the 1903 LXP files, there aren't any for 1909.  Yep, I know that we have to use the LXP (Local Experience Packs) now.  I have downloaded them from the VL site, and even better used the S4B to add a language to the store (Offline) and then from there create an SCCM app.  Easy, or so I thought.

Well, here's the challenge, I get a dependency missing error, both with the S4B appx, and when I try to install it using PowerShell Add-AppxPackage.  The error I finally tracked down for both of them is missing dependency. If I install the LXP from the Microsoft Store and do a Get-AppxPackage I get, no listed dependency. 

Name : Microsoft.LanguageExperiencePackde-DE
Publisher : CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US
Architecture : Neutral
ResourceId :
Version : 18362.17.60.0
PackageFullName : Microsoft.LanguageExperiencePackde-DE_18362.17.60.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
InstallLocation : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.LanguageExperiencePackde-DE_18362.17.60.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsFramework : False
PackageFamilyName : Microsoft.LanguageExperiencePackde-DE_8wekyb3d8bbwe
PublisherId : 8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsResourcePackage : False
IsBundle : False
IsDevelopmentMode : False
NonRemovable : False
IsPartiallyStaged : False
SignatureKind : Store

So my question, has anyone figured out how to get an LPX installed as part of an OSD task sequence?

5 Replies

I went and dumped the list of appx packages before and after installing the German LXP.  The following are the list of things that were added after the LXP was installed.  The interesting part is that some of these appear to be newer versions and/or the X86 versions for some reason. 

Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml                 
Microsoft.LanguageExperiencePackde-DE      
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.2.2         
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.2.2           
Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.0                      
Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.1                      
Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.1                      
Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.2                      
Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.2                      
Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop         
Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop         

Not a single article on how to do MECM OSD multilanguage with LXP and/or with help of the new features in the "Apply Windows Settings" step.  Please Microsoft confirm best practice for this in MECM 1910 and forward. If the pioint is that everyone should invent their own process we need to know if its even possible. Thanks

@Per Söderling 

Welcome to modern management, where the Enterprise has to figure out how to do things that have worked for years all over again without any guidance.

best response confirmed by Bob_Panick (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Bob_Panick The following blog article by @Christian Wunderlich might be useful: Windows 10 Multilanguage Deployment with MEMCM

@Michiel Overweel 

Wholly crap, no wonder I couldn't figure it out.  That article is great, thanks for posting it.  It does however reinforce my desire for me and my hockey stick to have a discussion with the morons in the Windows group that came up with this convoluted mess.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bob_Panick (Brass Contributor)