2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Ver 1909 for x64 (KB5001337) showing as not required.

Copper Contributor

2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5001337) is displaying as not required in MECM 2010. All my workstations are Windows 10 Version 1909.

16 Replies

@zenabra KB5001205 

Could be because we never saw this SSU.

Prerequisite: You must install the March 25, 2021 servicing stack update (SSU) (KB5001205) before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU)

eric_33

Appears that 2021-04 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5001406) now supersedes KB5001205 . So the thinking now is to deploy/install
KB5001406 and see if that fixes the issue.
That did it.
Shows 1 required on my test device.
Hi Yes of course you're right! But is it appropriate to keep the time Update = Error! I really would like a better microsoft team job = Dream dream!
We have the same problem too and I can confirm that machines which install the 2021-04 SSU switch to a required state.

HOWEVER, we had a separate issue where the ADR did not include "2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5001337)" in the software update group when it ran. It did however grab the 20H2 CU.

I had to manually download "2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5001337)" and add it to the software update group for this month's patches.

Our fleet run Windows 10 1909. We're running MECM 2010 with hotfix rollup KB4600089 applied.

Has anyone else had this issue with their ADR?
Yes, but only because we have required =>1 on the ADR. Easy enough to download, and add to the deployment group.
I deploy in 2 phases - First to a test group followed 5 days later by the main deployment. I'm going to release the SSU a couple of days ahead of the main deployment to give them all a chance install and rescan.

@Andy Kinseley Are you seeing the April SSU as Required for all your 1909 machines? I'm only seeing it Required on 204 of my 900+ machines.

@PatchesAlot - have all your machines rescanned (if not force one).  They should show KB5001337 as being required, after a rescan.

Prior to this Patch Tuesday and Ring Deployment, I was accustomed to seeing the SSU + .NET and CU in the Software Center and I knew that the SSU would always have to install first. Fast forward to this month we see the SSU within Software Center. It's not until the SSU has installed, system rebooted that MECM then recognizes the CU as required but results in two reboots.

Anyone else?

@jguevarajr Yep, this is the behaviour. The machines need the April SSU before they know that they require the CU. The SSU requires a reboot, so after that happens the machines check in and they switch to a "required" state for the CU. Looks like we're all in for 2 reboots this month. I haven't invested any time in to seeing if the SSU can be deployed with the reboot suppressed and force machines to check in again. I'm just going to leave things as they are and our users can cop 2 reboots. Not ideal, but I'm too busy with other things to invest any further time in to it. It may be the case that it can be done, but that will be for others to figure out if they absolutely want one reboot for users.

I have not seen any .NET updates for April.

TY for the reply, the disconnect I have and its that type of "Monday" for me... Why is this month different from previous ring deployments?

I have previously deployed SSU, CU and .NET all in the same Software Update Group and they have shown up in the Software Center. We just knew the SSU would go first and then the others.

2 reboots on 4.20.21 - The Struggle is Real.
According to eric_33 (2nd post in this thread), the March 25 SSU (KB5001205) was not installed. Based on that date it seems that MS released an out of band SSU, probably to address a bug.

KB5001205 is a prerequisite for the April CU to install.