SOLVED

Suggested Japanese translations for the PowerPoint live captions and subtitles

Brass Contributor

Hi team,

Here are my suggestions for the awesome feature, PowerPoint live caption and subtitles.

Current translation : 話者の言語

Suggested translation : 話し手の言語

English text :Spoken Language

The current word "話者" is a bit stiff style on the menu guidance because the word is usually used in formal sentences.
Both "話者" and "話し手" mean "Speaker" in this menu, but "話し手" looks more confortable to many people.

Current translation : その他の設定(ウィンドウ

Suggested translation 1 : 追加設定(ウィンドウズ

Suggested translation 2 : 追加設定(OS設定

Suggested translation 3 : 追加設定(Windows) *Optional

English text :More Settings (Windows)

I believe the word "Windows" is settings of Windows, OS-based.
So, in this case, current Japanese "ウィンドウ" can confuse users what kind of window does it indicate becasuse we use the "ウィンドウ" to small or extra graphical elements like message box.

The 1st suggestion is added a last letter "ズ", so that it actually sounds and means "Windows" as an OS.

cf) common feeling between JP and EN
ウィンドウ = window
ウィンドウズ = Windows

The 2nd suggestion means "OS-based". So, it looks "More Settings (OS-based)".
We can easily imagine that "Control panel" will appear.
Also, no one misunderstand that is a window like message box.

The 3rd suggestion is related to the 1st one, just describing in English.
We can understand it means the "Windows OS" if the first letter is capitalized.

Thanks,

4 Replies

Hi @kazma_007 

Thanks so much for these well thought out suggestions! Our Japanese Moderator will take a close look at them. Did you use the feature itself? Did you feel it did a good job recognising what you were saying and translating the captions?

Hi @Stafford Quaid 

I've been actually trying and enjoying the feature, and I like this one!

Though we have to say clearly more than usual, the both of quality captions and translating are good.

I've tried new function between Japanese and English, and I feel both of the translation from JP to EN and from EN to JP are better than I expected.

I can't say they are already perfect, but available to use them as language supporting.

@kazma_007 thanks for letting us know. That is good to hear! Have a great weekend!

best response confirmed by kazma_007 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@kazma_007 

You should see your suggestion for "spoken language" implemented in builds releasing over the coming weeks! Thanks for the suggestion!

Staff

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kazma_007 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@kazma_007 

You should see your suggestion for "spoken language" implemented in builds releasing over the coming weeks! Thanks for the suggestion!

Staff

View solution in original post