PowerPoint Live Captions - Are some words filtered out?

MVP

Hi there,

while playing with PowerPoint Live Captions, I got the impression, that words, which could be seen as offensive, seem to be filtered out by Live Captions. Is that the case?

In the screenshot below, some samples of sentences, which contain some words, which do not appear in the Live Caption. If I try to speak only these words, then also nothing appears in Live Captions.

image.png

If it is the case, that words, considered as offensive, are filtered out, then I think, that's not good. For example, the second sentence refers to a non-offensive use of the word Mist and the last sentence refers to a title of a movie. So, if these words are omitted, a reader will often not fully understand the sentence. Personally, I also think, that's in the presenters' responsibility to use offensive words or not.

If there is a need to filter out offensive words, then I would like suggest to have a setting, where the presenter can e.g. disable or finetune this behaviour.

Best,

Mourad

3 Replies

Hi @Mourad Louha 

We have passed your suggestion to the Development to look at. Once we hear back on it we will let you know.

Staff

@Mourad Louha ,

So the PowerPoint PM got back to us on this one and unfortunately they will not be able to implement your suggestion. Here is what they said..."This decision was made based on number of cases when users got some words transcribed as profanity even though it was not the case. So, in order to avoid situations with false positives, we deliberately disabled any profanity being returned in transcription."  

Regards,

Staff

Hi @Stafford Quaid,

thank you very much for the follow up. A little bit sad. I can understand the reasons, why the PowerPoint Team made this decision. However, I think, that it will also lead to that words will not be transcribed, as the KI/ML does not always recognize the context and just filters out words. So, my hope is that the KI/ML will learn with time and then minimize such situations.

Best,

Mourad