Data Streamer - Runtime errors on second launch

MVP

Hi there,

I am currently re-testing the Data Streamer Add-In, and I noticed that some localization bugs I reported some time ago are fixed, that's great. Thanks :)

In the new version, I can however currently reproduce runtime errors from the Add-In, which did not happen in March 2019. The runtime errors only happens when Excel is launched a second time after having activated the Add-In. And it only happens on one of my test computers - the one, which has a COM port and is running Windows 7 (German) and Excel 2016 monthly targeted (German, English and more languages). The other computer is a laptop, which has no external devices connected and is running Windows 10.

It seems for me, that Data Streamer is automatically connecting a device on the problematic computer and does not release/disconnect the device after closing Excel. The steps for reproducing look for me like the following:

First, open Excel and activate Data Streamer from the COM-Add-Ins, e.g. from the developer tools tab and COM Add-Ins.

image.png

The button on the left for connecting an external device shows me 2 devices. I did not connect to anyone of them.

image.png

Now just close Excel and open Excel again. After then, the Data Streamer Add-In looks like the screenshot below. As you can see, Data Streamer offers to disconnect a device.

image.png

However, this does not work and any click on a command on the menue (excepted the button for resetting the data) leads to a runtime error.

image.png

Here the same error, which appears when I switch Excel to English.

image.png

The only way I found to let the errors disappear is to deactivate the Add-In and then reactivate it. Works for one session, meaning after closing and reopening Excel, same procedure.

Note: if you test this, the Excel Option Show add-in user interface errors from the Advanced options must be active. Otherwise, no error messages are displayed.

Best,

Mourad

3 Replies

Hi there,

additional note: I can also reproduce the error in a Windows 10 virtual machine with Excel 2016, Version 1906, Build 11727.20030, having 2 COM ports.

image.png

image.png

Best,

Mourad

Hi @Mourad Louha, the issue seems to have been fixed with the comment: "Checked on latest build 16.0.11903.10000 on 1903 OS, there's no issue on second launch DataStreamer and no error pop up when clicking button. Please see attached video: No issue_DataStreamer on second launch. Thanks!"

I've attached the video here for your convenience. Let me know if you're happy with the solution. Thanks, Janna

Hi @Janna Braeuning,

thanks - I have just tested it and seen that Data Streamer has been updated in the last days. It has Version 5.4.7109 now. The version before was 5.4.7071. I did not see the problem in the new version and a second start works fine. So, big thanks to you and to the Data Streamer team.:)

Best,

Mourad