From Sharing to Solving

Highlighted
MVP

Here are two companion blog posts from @Cai Kjaer and I on moving your Yammer network beyond just sharing. My post examines the benefits from moving from Sharing Out Loud to Working Out Loud and Cai discusses how Swoop Analytics can help measure that transition.

What do you do to help your organisation's Yammer network move beyond just sharing to advancing the work?

Post links:

https://simonterry.com/2017/02/22/from-sharing-to-solving/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/bridging-knowledge-sharingproblem-solving-divide-cai-kjaer

2 Replies
Highlighted

"Employees who develop confidence in an enterprise social collaboration solution as a place to solve their problems will begin to explore how to fulfill their new ideas there. People move easily from How? to What if?" Great line, @Simon Terry.

Are you of the opinion that the attention of a community manager is less beneficial for activity above the Solving boundary? What have you found to be the tipping point in crossing the boundary if not a "community manager" type person?

"It is the apparent inflexibility and poor responsiveness of the formal hierarchy that motivates many organisations to adopt enterprise social networks."

What have others done to mature beyond sharing? Anyone changed the publisher prompt and seen a difference? Is our network a failure if all we do is share?

Highlighted

The network is not a failure if you only share. This is simply a question of the value that your organisation wants to achieve. More is possible but if you only want sharing that's fine and there could be a good reason (ie other forms of collaboration happen better elsewhere eg office is small and collaborative work tends to be more productive face to face).

The tipping point is a weight of role models showing the value of working in a new way. That might come from the work of a CM, a GM, a champion or a major transformation project. Volume and persistence of role modelling for me is what embeds the change and encourages others to try different. The pre-conditions remain that there needs to be a clear strategic and user rationale and trust and connection in the community.

What I have seen is that the CM is still needed but the CM role changes as the work becomes more mature on the curve. Any network needs to operate at all four levels simultaneously. There will still be new users to coach and new groups to help along. However, as the network matures the CM becomes a strategic value manager shaping the flow of work.

I ran a series of experiments with changing the publisher prompt. It does change behaviour for new and occasional users.  They see it as an official question from the organisation.

As noted above, I don't look for features within the product to transition across that boundary. I look for people & work beyond the tool that I can bring in.