Delete a Yammer post - Basics 101

Deleted
Not applicable

So you need to delete a Yammer post. Maybe even a whole conversation thread. Righto, here's your reference.

1. Users can always delete what they post. So is this an opportunity to "teach them to fish" instead of "hand them a fish"? If so, point them to the "..." icon right below the post in question. For any post they write, when they click "..." they will see "DELETE" among the options.

2. Group admins can delete posts in the groups they manage. This is a rarely-used power in a well-run group, because this action might have a chilling effect on engagement. 

3. Network admins can delete any post, anywhere, that they can see. Any "..." icon below a post has "DELETE" among the options for both garden variety network admins and the "verified" sort.

a. If you need to delete a string of posts, start at the bottom, work your way to the top, post by post. Deleting the top post will NOT delete the entire thread, but instead, leave a context-interrupted fragment hanging out there that someone might get a glimpse of, as you do your cleanup work.

b. If you need to clean up a LONG thread and are willing to use a code solution, here's some wisdom from Stan "the Man" Garfield:

Create a script based on these steps:
1) Have thread data exported to a CSV file
2) Get the thread ID for the conversation you need to delete
3) Use the messages.CSV file to:
--a. Get the thread ID
--b. Get all the message IDs for that thread ID
--c. Pass each of these message IDs to the Yammer API endpoint to delete the message - for further details on the REST API endpoint, see https://developer.yammer.com/docs/messagesid

PS. As of August 2016, Yammer does not yet have "Edit Post" functionality, so the main workaround is to control-c your contents, create a new post, control-v paste that content, fix your goof, then push your post live... then go delete the original error post.

But keep the faith, edit post is on the roadmap.

Got more post / thread deletion hacks? Serve 'em if you got 'em.

4 Replies

Thanks Melanie. I can't emphasize enough the importance of starting from the bottom. I run across "orphan" replies all the time, and they are very confusing.

(This community needs a Yammer share button so I can send this to my network.)

@Deleted wrote:

So you need to delete a Yammer post. Maybe even a whole conversation thread. Righto, here's your reference.

1. Users can always delete what they post. So is this an opportunity to "teach them to fish" instead of "hand them a fish"? If so, point them to the "..." icon right below the post in question. For any post they write, when they click "..." they will see "DELETE" among the options...

How about deleting an attachment to a Yammer post?  When I tested this I was able to delete the attachment by deleting the "File".  However, Yammer placed a stub that indicated the attachment had been deleted.  Is there any way to remove that stub, or prevent it from being inserted?

I've never found a way, but that would sure be nice.

I can delete posts I made via the browser just fine. But I can't delete a post I made via email. The confirmation to delete dialog appears, I confirm deletion and the post persists. Also, despite using the double dash before my email signature, the post contains the icons that are part of my signature. These icons showed up as files in my profile and I deleted them, still they show up in that message that I can't delete.

I am a global administrator of our Office 365 tenant and a yammer admin. How can I delete that test post that I emailed???

Ideas welcome.