Call Centre + Yammer

Highlighted
Contributor

Has anyone developed a plan to successfully move call centre communications to Yammer?

Let's say we have a group of 4000+ call centre employees, who have limited time to browse the web, let alone socialize on an enterprise network. Can anyone share what they've done to full integrate call centre employees with Yammer?

Our corporate employees, employees that have regular desks and laptops are fully integrated. But we continue to try and figure out ways to get our call centres integrated the same way. 

7 Replies
Highlighted
Do you have a vision for enterprise social within the organisation?
You can't just throw Yammer at your call centre employees - they need a purpose for using a social network, like all staff.
Highlighted

At our organization, currently about 27,000 people are registered on our network and we've communicated that Yammer is used to "engage and connect with the organization." 

Ideally we'd like frontline employees to feel the same way about Yammer that corporate employees do - to engage and connect with the rest of the organization. Currently, frontline articulate that they simply don't have time to engage with the organization and log into Yammer.

I'd like to hear if anyone has successfully moved frontline communications primarily to Yammer. I know that one team in my organization is planning on moving their intranet experience primarily to Yammer but that's still being developed. 

Hoping to hear some success stories or anecdotes that can help with building a strategy for the majority of the frontline. 

Highlighted

Two tips from some of the work I've done previously, make it so simple. And provide the time/opportunity for training. 

I also think creating specific uses for why they would use Yammer over other tools, is really helpful. I am sure you have a big help center or documentation or online support where people are looking up information, so trying to understand WHY and WHAT you want them to use it for, and making that super crystal clear that will help. 

If they are hourly, I'd highly reccomend looping in HR/Legal to make sure you cover specific bases as you start to document the planning for their usage. 

Highlighted

Awesome feedback!

I'm currently working on the strategy and will incorporate your advice. 

Highlighted

You may also consider checking out this resource https://docs.com/yammer-team/4754/yammer-use-case-catalog and look at the "Yammer for engaging your front line" section and this blog https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2013/06/18/empowering-employees-and-creating-strong-engagement-for-be...

Highlighted

What if Yammer is not an extra thing, but part of process improvement...what's in it for them to go through a change and move to Yammer.

Do the Call Centre Managers have pain points when using an email list to communicate changes and updates about processes, procedures, functionality, new service offerings?

Do Managers wonder why frontline are not sharing their experiences? Do they feel they are losing touch with staff?

Do frontline have pain points that their process improvements are not heard? Often frontline vent that some formal processes don't reflect the actually reality of their daily work activities (or the tools are too clunky), and they crave less friction in getting work done

- perhaps the email list is not effective as frontline are hesitant to voice feedback on an email list (as an email list feels more top-down, and not a place that belongs to everyone)

- what results is frontline email frustrations amongst themselves, and managers feel they are missing out on all these types of feedback emails

- a yammer group is more engaging than an email list, and has a sense of place where all feel it's their co-owned space to participate (rather than a channel created by managers to push formal communications)

- given frontline feels it's their space, and that their suggestions can be heard beyond their manager ie. potentially be read by anyone in the organisation, they may be more motivated to share process improvement suggestions, as well as tips and workarounds...the bonus of this is that it also builds their reputation

This is a win win - frontline are heard, and managers can create a more frictionless experience for the frontline to get work done more effectively...plus work is more engaging and relationships are stronger that builds a more caring and responsive unit

Perhaps another pain point is that Managers or even frontline get emails from other units about how call centre changes have affected their unit negatively, and vice versa; changes made in other departments that affect the call centre are not being communicated to call centre managers eg. Call centre could potentially decrease a certain pattern of calls if only sales people would incorporate those questions and answers in their repertoire when selling to customers

- this type of sub-optimal experience on the final customer happens due to silos communicating in private email (therefore being disconnected from each other)...a more visible and central location for communications allow cross-silo staff to visit, read and post feedback on each others group spaces)

Highlighted

Adding on to @John Tropea's response, when you said, "Currently, frontline articulate that they simply don't have time to engage with the organization and log into Yammer," in my experience, any group that feels this way really needs their managers / leadership to set the example by logging in and engaging.

You still have to give those managers examples, such as those found on this thread, to get them invested. One manager in my company with a team that didn't have time for Yammer stated that he would _only_ communicate important news and updates to his team through their Yammer group. This is extreme, but it got them using it and by extension, more comfortable using the rest of the space and interacting with others. Now they love how they get that instant feedback when they post something. 

And while it's not ideal, also be prepared to let that portion of the company form a private group within the network if it'll help them ease into usage.  You'll have plenty of public group examples to point to after awhile to get them to open it up.