Displaying unread messages

Silver Contributor

How do we just view the unread messages? Every channel seems to show all of the messages, and i don't need to see the ones I have already read.

49 Replies

Now if I could figure out a way to flag all of the ones I just read to not show up again like you can on each of the Parent Communities? Spaces? Topics?.

I spent about 20 minutes click the Show More and it never ended.  I have only been absent from the Community for about 3 weeks over the Holiday break.  I can't imagine it would have been that busy here.

Some observations:

1. when select Unanswered, then click a post, then click next conversation, it takes me to the next item in the community that contains the original post. I was expecting it to take me to the next unread item.

2. this would be more helpful if were available in specific community groups so that it was more targeted.

3. a good start and long overdue.

Thanks for getting this in place

@Dean Gross

Thanks for the feedback, I want to be clear here. I have an open request in with lithium to look into a product enhancement which would remove this particular limitation of the platform but because I do not know how long that will take I got the devs to see what we could come up with that would help. So this is by no means a finished solution in my book.

Taking a look at your points

1. Agreed but nothing I can do about that one at the moment I am afraid (need above fix)
  2. Great to know, I wanted to try it at the homepage level first to see what kind of feedback we get before committing us further so if we get generally positive feedback we will roll it out to both the product / category level and then also the board / space level.
  3. Thanks we do try to make things better but there is always a trade off between:
    • If lithium will be making a change to their core product to support the improvement (i.e. the new editor coming soon)
    • When will lithium be making that change
    • How much pain is it causing members
    • How much dev time would it take to fix it ourselves
    • What will be the performance impact of custom code vs native development.

so taking the editor for an example, the current editor is not great. We receive feedback on the editor from many areas of the community so we know it hurts. Lithium are planning to roll a new editor this year. It would take a considerable about of our dev time to roll our own editor and the custom code would likely adversely impact the user experience.

For this reason we are waiting for the new out of the box editor.

Anyway do keep the feedback coming as it helps me prioritize our workloads. Normally I would say submit an idea but the idea's board is broken at the moment so feel free to comment below and I will move it all to ideas once the Idea statuses bug has been fixed. 

Hi @Allen,

... so in your opinion is this limitation a deal breaker?

Nope, I don't think that's a showstopper.

And would you rather have to do this and be able to see unread messages in this fashion or would it be better if we went back to the way it was?

Do we really have "or..or" choice? My understanding they live together and the combination is better than only one of these ways.

@Sergei Baklan

If we went back to the view we had before then you wouldn't have the 'unread' filter.

We have however discovered a bug where 'newest' is not always in the correct order - we are looking to fix that by tomorrow. 

Hi All,

So we have now brought 'unread' down to the community and board level.

Further we have also implemented a form of auto load on the pages so you do not need to click the 'Click to see more conversations' button.

We have a known issue at the moment where the auto load keeps causing the side bar components to scroll further and further down on smaller screens (i.e. mobile) and we plan to fix it shortly

Hi Allen,

Sounds great. I was off for few days and it's right time to test how it works.

I still have 5 conversations on the screen with unread posts (actually it shall be much more), no way to expand and "Show more messages" is not active in Unread view. Or I do something in a wrong way?

It only shows you the number of unread messages in the collections you have already loaded.

i.e. if you open the page and then click unread you will only get the unread 'newest' messages. If you then click on the other filter the collection will grow and so will potentially the 'unread' messages. If there is no 'Show more messages' button or it inactive its because in the collect you have loaded thus far there are not more than 5 unread messages.

I appreciate that's a bit of a fudge but the underlying platform doesn't allow us to just show you all of your unread messages (I have an idea with Lithium to implement it but until they do...) so we have tried to make something that will work, even if its not perfect.

Oh, I see, thank you. These are separate.

But it works only first time, I scrolled Newest, click Unread, opened unread conversations in new tabs, refreshed tab with community, again on Newest, see some unread

image.png

clicked on Unread filter - nothing

image.png

Another related issue - feed on community page shows some conversations as unread (Newest filter, Unread one selects them), they are counting in Space tile and have grey bar. However, I've definitely seen them (perhaps from another computer, don't remember) and if I open such conversations they have no grey bar within it.