Is the pop up with "The fine print" on Office 365 a virus?

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

When I tried using Office 365 Word to open a file from a customerpop up that keeps me from using Wordpop up that keeps me from using WordWhy is office 365 doing this? Today 31jul2018 every program in Office 365 started doing this, when I close it it shuts down Word, did the same with excel. Not sure if this is a Virus.

7 Replies
Highlighted

It's a standard dialog which requires you to agree to the license agreement, just like any other software out there. Once you accept it, it will not appear again.

Highlighted

Why is this popping up?

Users start asking questions.

As an Admin I haven't seen any info on this from Microsoft.

Highlighted

We usually only see it when activating Office with a new user account. I don't remember seeing it after a regular update, but we are on the Monthly channel. Maybe Semi-Annual channel just received this new agreement dialog "feature" and it started appearing after the update. Not sure if this was intended, but maybe some new rules were introduced at MS and they want every user to accept agreement (legal stuff).

Highlighted

I stand corrected. One user just reported same popup to me. I guess it comes with the latest monthly update..

Highlighted

While I have Office 365 at home, this is popping up on a machine at my workplace running Office 2016. This really does look like malware.  It shows up completely out of the blue requiring users to accept terms that we know very little about.  At best, this was handled very poorly.  At worse you are changing licensing for users after that have paid for the product and services.  This is unethical.

Highlighted

Btw, i don't think there is a single person on this thread working for MS. I know you probably just talking in general, but it sounds like you are directing it at someone here (you replied to Vasil's message). We are just users here discussing stuff. Now, i fail to see how this is looking like malware. Also, it might look like it appears out of nowhere, but it happens after Office updates. As Office updates are now such nonintrusive and running on the background one can't notice that update actually happened. Although usually when you run Office program after an update it shows popups with new features. One can also see them as "malware". Not sure was it an intended change or some unintentional bug to show it on an already installed and activated system (probably the latter). But i wonder what will happen after another update. It seems it shouldn't pop again. But who knows.

Highlighted

Found this in admin center today. So it is acknowledged

office_fineprint_advisory.PNG