When PaaS SQL replicates locally or globally how does the associated IaaS application server move

Copper Contributor

When PaaS SQL replicates locally or globally how does the associated IaaS application server stay connected with the PaaS SQL when it relocates to another data center within the same region or to a different region?

2 Replies

@DK Hi David, just to confirm you are using Azure SQL? If that's the case then the hostname you access the service via does not change regardless of the location, the server address is globally unique so is yours regardless of where your Azure SQL instance replicates to.

@MrCoups    This is either a Azure SQL database (PaaS) or Azure SQL instance (PaaS).  So the IP address range is different in each region then how does the SQL PaaS manage to keep the same globally unique IP address?   And can the replication be something other  geo-replication (different regions) such as locally within a region or within a specific data center?,... I only saw failover options but not replication options which to me is different?   And I believe for Azure SQL instance (PaaS) there is only a failover option ( no geo-replication).