SOLVED

Virtual PC Desktop?

Copper Contributor

We were working with Azure about 2 years ago and were ready to roll out our software when the service we were using was discontinued.  I can't recall the name of the service, but basically it was like having a virtual PC desktop. We could install software and run like it was a normal PC.

Does anyone know if there is a replacement service that would allow this type of implementation?

4 Replies

It was Azure RemoteApp! Microsoft passed the baton onto Citrix, who have a XenApp Essentials offering.  Last I looked, XenApp Essentials seemed a rather awkward in-between solution, lacking the simplicity of RemoteApp but I could be wrong. 

The Citrix FAQ has lots of details that are worth checking out.

Yes, RemoteApp. Thanks.

Citrix wants a minimum of 25 users and looks like that starts at over $6k.  I remember RemoteApp being much more cost effective to get started.

best response confirmed by David Jimenez (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Yes that's true, also with XenApp, you have to buy your own Microsoft licence, which adds to the cost as well as the complexity - XenApp Essentials is Nearly Here! But How Much Will It Cost?:

"The Citrix XenApp Essentials Service accesses Windows Server remote session capabilities that would typically require a Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licenses (RDS CALs). Customers would be able to meet this requirement by purchasing the Microsoft Remote Access rights at $6.25 per user per month directly from the Azure Marketplace when purchasing XenApp Essentials. Alternatively, you can bring your existing RDS CALs"

In fairness, RemoteApp had a 20 user minimum, though a 5 user Premium tier was introduced eventually.  Either way, I'd consider looking elsewhere in this instance, such as Amazon WorkSpaces, which has no minimum requirement or similar solutions and see if they are a better fit.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David Jimenez (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Yes that's true, also with XenApp, you have to buy your own Microsoft licence, which adds to the cost as well as the complexity - XenApp Essentials is Nearly Here! But How Much Will It Cost?:

"The Citrix XenApp Essentials Service accesses Windows Server remote session capabilities that would typically require a Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licenses (RDS CALs). Customers would be able to meet this requirement by purchasing the Microsoft Remote Access rights at $6.25 per user per month directly from the Azure Marketplace when purchasing XenApp Essentials. Alternatively, you can bring your existing RDS CALs"

In fairness, RemoteApp had a 20 user minimum, though a 5 user Premium tier was introduced eventually.  Either way, I'd consider looking elsewhere in this instance, such as Amazon WorkSpaces, which has no minimum requirement or similar solutions and see if they are a better fit.

View solution in original post