SOLVED

Redesign Nintex workflow with azure queue /logic app /flow

Brass Contributor

We have a nintex workflow on sharepoint online,This workflow is used for employee time management, so for every employee at start of his shift a workflow starts running and it loops through employee information and checks compliance conditions and send perodic notifications to each employee.

Problem :
It is poorly designed, Workflow runs when each employee starts its shift and then there is lot of looping , hold/delay option used to send notification every hour based on the condition is either met or not met. What it does is when that same thing is done for each employee it loops more than 5000 items and so many delay tasks and multiple threads which causes the workflow to break.

This operation requires hourly notification and check complaince. Now i am thinking to provide suggestion to redesign this workflow. So was trying to explore other options which we can use.
Would it be better to do this task from a webjob with azure queue to place data on the queue and pick after every one hour for each employee would this be the right way to do this kind of task. any example would be helpful.

logic app/flow do they have some new feature to do this more effectively. I am open to other options also Please suggest

Thanks

4 Replies

Can anyone help with this or any suggestions on this would be helpful.

Thanks

best response confirmed by KJS (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I figured out the solution, Logic apps give a schedular functionality to trigger a workflow. So i think redesigning the workflow to break it into multiple workflow.

First one to mark the attendance and upadate the other information.

Second one to check for flag periodicaly and send notification, Now to trigger this second workflow perodically use a Logic app to check it and trigger it. 

I hope the idea helps.

thanks

I am looking at Logic Apps/Flow to provide process automation solution for our business in O365. We have been using Nintex on premise. Can you share your insights on pros and cons, if you had experience with Nintex Online?
@Edua,
Answering your question I can say this is just the matter of taste... and probably the price :). As I stated in one of the topics here (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Azure/Can-Flow-amp-Logic-Apps-Replace-Nintex/m-p/130858#M1552) both tools (I mean MS Flow and Nintex Workflow) are roughly the same. Both have hundreds of different actions, tons of adaptors, work and integrated greatly with SharePoint and O365.
Nintex used to shine when everything SharePoint had as an alternative was SPS Workflow, so they were winning every time. I can say that Flow is a game changer. At the same time, I have to admit though, that compared to Microsoft, for Nintex their products like Forms and Workflow are the bread and butter and Flow is still a product under development with no finite version. The only difference that catches the eye is probably the fact MS Flow is only cloud-based, whereas Nintex Workflow has both on-premise and cloud versions.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KJS (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I figured out the solution, Logic apps give a schedular functionality to trigger a workflow. So i think redesigning the workflow to break it into multiple workflow.

First one to mark the attendance and upadate the other information.

Second one to check for flag periodicaly and send notification, Now to trigger this second workflow perodically use a Logic app to check it and trigger it. 

I hope the idea helps.

thanks

View solution in original post