SOLVED

RDP Connection to AZURE SLOW using Thin clients

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am going to the community to try to get some advices in some trouble I am running into with AZURE and RDS connections.

We are currently moving our network servers into AZURE. Everything is going fine BUT I am running into some difficulties... Well for me it is not really a big deal but for the end users it is.

We are using some thin Clients to connect to a Server farm into AZURE. When user are connecting to the Cloud, they are complaining that the connections are slow... It was better before when the network was inside the organization...

I checked few things :

1. Internet bandwith = OK. Up and Down = 10 Mbps

2. Farm servers = CPU, RAM = very good.

So I changed the thin client setting by putting them on connection 56 K to check if the return was fast. It is much fast, but lower quality on screen resolution. So users are complaining... "the quality is bad", "I will have to get glasses soon"...

The thin client used at Axel M90 which are from my point of view very good for what we are doing with it.

On my laptop I am also using AZURE and connecting via RDP session = OK. Every users have Office PRO PLUS 2016, Office 365, SKYPE ENTERPRISE and some developped application.

Any suggestions to get good quality for end users so I won't have to send them to buy glasses ?

I am checking this now. We have about 15 users in AZURE Farm but within 2 years, I will have about 250 users.

Thank you.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Emmanuel JAMIN (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Emmanuel JAMIN

It depends on what you're using it for. 

1. If you're using Azure VMs to host the apps for the end users it might be a wrong approach. Check out Azure RemoteApp

2. Make sure the VM's (infrastructure overall) is in the closest data-center

3. If VM as such is terribly slow (remember that by default they're using magnetic storages), consider "Premium storage" option to improve IOPS.

4. Try to troubleshoot RDP connection using this guide.

5. As the final measure - file a ticket to MS if nothing from above helps or suitable.

@Alex Kaziuka wrote:

Hi @Emmanuel JAMIN

1. If you're using Azure VMs to host the apps for the end users it might be a wrong approach. Check out Azure RemoteApp

3. If VM as such is terribly slow (remember that by default they're using magnetic storages), consider "Premium storage" option to improve IOPS.

5. As the final measure - file a ticket to MS if nothing from above helps or suitable.

Hello and thank you very much for your reply.

For 1 : this is not remote app

For 2 : Yes it is in Amsterdam. I am awaiting for the opening (in Prod) of the Data Center here in France

For 3 : We are on Premium already

For 4, that handled it I think. I changed the setting preferences to 256 Kbps and enabled "Font Smoothing" (otherwise not looking good on screen) and unchecked Caching bitmap only for thin client.

Now the connexion are much better for everyone hoping to will stay that way. Again thanks a lot for your help and advices.

Azure RemoteApp is a discontinued product.

Being discontinued and already discontinued are two different things. It's not replaced yet, so please do not confuse people.

@Alex Kaziuka wrote:

Being discontinued and already discontinued are two different things. It's not replaced yet, so please do not confuse people.

Ah ok ! Thanks for the clarification... Feeling better in my head :)

you cannot deploy new instances of the product.
Microsoft announced the following along time ago:
We will continue to support existing Azure RemoteApp customers on the service through August 31st, 2017, when the service will be wound down. We are following up directly with customers who are currently using Azure RemoteApp to ensure these options are understood and they have the support they need through this transition. New purchases of Azure RemoteApp will end as of October 1st, 2016.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Emmanuel JAMIN (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Emmanuel JAMIN

View solution in original post