Questions on RDSH-WVD migration to Azure and Azure Peering Models.

Brass Contributor

Hi Community,

One of our partner has a client who established this Azure model back in early 2018.

• Move a distributed branch office model to Azure
  • Key thing is that have a corporate desktop delivered using RDSH architecture.
  • RDSH, Applications, SQL etc all located in UK South , with UK West supporting failover with SRM
  • O365 , Exchange Online
  • Express Route (ER), peered to Azure (100 Mb)
  • Palo Alto Firewall at the permitter
  • Mimecast service to support Archive of Mail
  • Initially scaled to support 800 user but now the business model will frow to ~2000
  • MPLS supporting Office network supporting 800 users
  • FSLogix

They need to revisit this architecture in particular the Peering design in 2021. Drivers being scaling form 800 >2000 users. As outlined RDS is the key desktop delivery engine. This is a complex desktop with 20 + applications with Outlook being a key element. They have FSLogix deployed to manage both User Profiles and Outlook Profiles. Outlook profiles are large (20GB-60GB)and a new Mimecast Archive solution is being deployed, this should help reduce mailbox size.  In the current model all traffic between the RDS hosts and Exchange Online traverses the Firewalls and the ER. So as the user estate grows , there will be more data on the ER.

1. Should they consider Peering the ER with Azure and O365 ?

2. What they are looking for is  review the current MS offering for Peering Models,??

3. Is our current model still valid.?

4. How has the MS Peering model evolved ?

Routing with ExpressRoute for Office 365 - Microsoft 365 Enterprise | Microsoft Docs

Keep in mind :

• Latency
  • Performance
  • Security
  • Cost implications
  • Routing
  • Any restriction in Peering bottleneck
  • Design and deployment risks
  • Consider future planning with OneDrive  / SharePoint online / TEAMS

Any pointers/guidance would be of great help!

3 Replies
Are they looking to move to Windows 10 multisession or are they using RDS with the WVD PaaS Control Plane? Have you looked that RDP ShortPath?

Feel free to DM me if you need in-depth help.
Hi TonyCai,

Thank you very much for your response. I've got the below information from the partner.

1. The long term plan with Citrix Cloud (mgmt plane) with windows 10 multisession, but this is at least a year away.
2. In the current setup with have the basic RDS infrastructure (~50 RDSH) with associated Web Gateways / Broker.

Please do let me know if you need any further queries.

Thanks again for your help.
Hi TonyCai, I've provided the requested information, would you be able to help here?