Questions about Azure for students

Copper Contributor

I have two questions regarding Azure for students.

Firstly will the university be contacted if I register, or rather if they sign up with a staff account can they see who has signed up? I'm just paranoid that they will track me or something like that. Or that they won't get notified in regards to what I do with it, I am not wanting to do anything I am not meant to, I just want to play around with it (that is a whole purpuse I guess). I just don't want to them to ask me why are you signing up to Azure or why are you doing this with it.

Secondary, I am wanting to try out a few things. Just to confirm it does include a basic VM for 750 hours and a basic SQL server? Also is that 750 hours per month or per year? So everything that is included in the standard 1 year free trail, except you don't need to enter bank details etc...?

Thanks.

1 Reply

@Novartificium 
"will the university be contacted if I register" - No. But you are using your University issued account to register so that activity may be traceable. Your space in Azure is separate from anything the University might be hosting, so you're not going to accidentally break the Library server (or whatever) through this. As someone who works in a University I can safely say that no-one is going to object to you doing extra learning!

You get "everything that is included in the standard 1 year free trail, except you don't need to enter bank details etc" - Yes. Essentially this is letting students start using Azure services without having to provide Credit Card details.