Public Archives and Retention Schedules via Blockchain

Copper Contributor

Hello -

I'm the new IT Consultant at a State Public Archives Agency... We are in the middle of deciding to move to Azure/AWS/IBM; some other third-party company...  andbecause we are already in the MS ecosystem locally... I'm leaning hard for Azure. What I'm wondering is can we leverage the BaaS that you all provide to handle an automation like retention/destruction schedules OR is it more prudent to simply rely on DB Retention Polices that are probably already present in the various DB services Azure offers? 

Have any of the BC team members seen BaaS used in other Government Archival scenarios? Are there case studies available? I have a call into the Azure Government Team for a quote in April.

Thanks all!

Bryan

2 Replies

It's a broad question ;) Blockchain in itself is not an Archival System. It could supplement an Archiving system by ensuring that documents have not been tampered by hashing the content.

Yeah I know it's not appropriate for archivals at all (trying to explain that to state employees is hard... because they hear "Decentralized and Distributed" and it's a job in of itself to cut through all the buzzspeak honestly) but this is a cool example of using the tech in conjunction with data storage...

thank you for the reply!