SOLVED

Migrating VM Extensions during an Azure Site Recovery fail over

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have noticed that VM extensions (malware, chef etc) are not replicated during a ASR VM fail over (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/site-recovery/azure-to-azure-support-matrix).

I have been able to configure a run book  (power shell), and have attached it to a ASR recovery plan, which successfully configures the extension after the replicated machine starts. I intend to create a second ASR recovery plan, but with the source and destination reversed (for failing back). This is a bit of a pain to be honest as it requires me to create 2 x run books and 2 x ASR recovery plan (one for each direction)

Can somebody please confirm if this is best practice, or if there is a more preferred, simpler method?

cheers

3 Replies

Any takers on this?

We are still scratching our head to if this is the correct process to follow during a fail over.

thanks

best response confirmed by GregHunter (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@GregHunter On the path back to the original datacenter are you sure you will have to reconfigure the extensions? From my understanding and when failing over between Azure regions it simply powers off or deallocates the VM in the original location. If you were to run that VM for an extended period of time in the failover location or datacenter pair and modifications were made to the extensions specifically yes you would need to perform those same functions on the original VM.

Hopefully this answers your question. Currently there is not graceful way I am aware of for extensions to move back and forth during a recovery and failback.

@Bryan Haslip thanks for the reply! I can confirm when failing back to the source site that the extensions do stay in place. It threw me a little when I first migrated and could not see the extensions. I have a better understanding now of how ASR works. 

Thanks again for your input Bryan

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GregHunter (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@GregHunter On the path back to the original datacenter are you sure you will have to reconfigure the extensions? From my understanding and when failing over between Azure regions it simply powers off or deallocates the VM in the original location. If you were to run that VM for an extended period of time in the failover location or datacenter pair and modifications were made to the extensions specifically yes you would need to perform those same functions on the original VM.

Hopefully this answers your question. Currently there is not graceful way I am aware of for extensions to move back and forth during a recovery and failback.

View solution in original post