Microsoft System Center DPM 2019 and Azure Backup Services

MVP

DPM2019 07.PNG

Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2019

In a Earlier blogpost I wrote about Backup – Restore – DR Strategy in a fast changing world
Microsoft Products for Backup – Restore -DR, we have:

1. Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager
  2. Microsoft Azure Backup
  3. Microsoft Azure Site Recovery (DR)

1. Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM)
You can install Microsoft SCDPM on different solutions, like:

• As a physical standalone server
  • As a Hyper-V virtual machine
  • As a Windows virtual machine in VMWare
  • As an Azure virtual machine

If you don’t want to manage hardware like a physical Server, you can virtualize your DPM Server on-Premises on Hyper-V or VMware but you can also install DPM into the Cloud as an Azure VM.
Here you can read What’s New in System Center DPM 2019
Before you begin you should know what Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager support and can protect by Backup. Here you find the highlights.

2. Microsoft Azure Backup

Use Azure Backup to protect the data for on-premises servers, virtual machines, virtualized workloads, SQL server, SharePoint server, and more. Because this is a Microsoft Cloud Service, you don’t have to buy expensive hardware like Physical Servers, Storage, Tape Library, you just pay for what you are using in Azure, Here you find the Microsoft Azure Calculator to calculate your Backup costs.

Azure Backup 01.png

Read the complete Blogpost on System Center DPM 2019 and Azure Backup here

4 Replies

@James van den Berg 

Hello, do you know if there is any certification and/or courses available somewhere to master the concepts of Microsoft DPM (Data Protection Manager). I did not know if this was possibly part of another line of study or certification. Thank you. 

Hello JohnB, Microsoft DPM is a Backup product in the System Center line. I couldn't find a course for only System Center DPM 2019 here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/courses/browse/ at Microsoft. I will ask around if there is any study or exam by Microsoft. Maybe you can look for a third party educator?
Hello JohnB, Maybe this Cookbook can help you with the Study of DPM2019 :
https://charbelnemnom.com/my-third-book-is-published-microsoft-system-center-data-protection-manager...
It's written by MVP Charbel.
Thank you James, I will definitely consider it.