Learn about Pulumi on Azure Thurs Aug 12 on LearnTV

Microsoft

AzureFunBytes is a weekly opportunity to learn more about the fundamentals and foundations that make up Azure. It's a chance for me to understand more about what people across the Azure organization do and how they do it. Every week we get together at 11 AM Pacific on Microsoft LearnTV and learn more about Azure.

When: August 12, 2021 11 AM Pacific / 2 PM Eastern
Where: Microsoft LearnTV

jaydestro_0-1628692291564.gif

Agnostic tools for building your cloud infrastructure can be incredibly helpful to provide a strategy that looks beyond one single cloud. There are many alternatives in the market to using native tooling for your cloud provider or handle the work manually. Each of these "Infrastructure as Code" tools brings you the tools to deploy anywhere, anytime with the reliability and consistency you expect. You can use programming languages you might already know such as Node.js, Python, Go, and .NET and use standard constructs like loops and conditionals. Pulumi allows you to build, deploy, and manage modern cloud applications and infrastructure using familiar languages, tools, and engineering practices.

jaydestro_1-1628692291443.png

With a tool like Pulumi you can build your architecture required for your IT operations to nearly 50 different cloud providers. If you also need on-prem or hybrid environments configured, Pulumi has you covered. Installing Pulumi just takes a few commands on your local environment. Pulumi uses different providers to support the various cloud services you may need. If Azure is your cloud of choice you can provision any of the services via Azure Resource Manager (ARM). The Azure provider must be configured with credentials to deploy and update resources in Azure. This can be done by either using the Azure CLI or by creating an Azure Active Directory Service Principal.

To help me understand how to start working with Pulumi, I've reached out to one of my favorite people from the world of DevOps, Principal Developer Advocate at Pulumi, Matty Stratton.

Matt Stratton is a Staff Developer Advocate at Pulumi, founder and co-host of the popular Arrested DevOps podcast, and the global chair of the DevOpsDays set of conferences.

Matt has over 20 years of experience in IT operations and is a sought-after speaker internationally, presenting at Agile, DevOps, and cloud engineering focused events worldwide. Demonstrating his keen insight into the changing landscape of technology, he recently changed his license plate from DEVOPS to KUBECTL.

He lives in Chicago and has three awesome kids, whom he loves just a little bit more than he loves Diet Coke. Matt is the keeper of the Thought Leaderboard for the DevOps Party Games online game show and you can find him on Twitter at @mattstratton.

We will work together to learn how to get started, how to use the programming language you may already know, and find out if Pulumi for your Azure deployments is right for you.

Here's our planned agenda for our show on LearnTV:

• Why bother writing automation code anyway
  • I'm a developer. why do I can about infrastructure automation?
  • I'm an ops person. Why should I write code?
  • Why Pulumi when there are other tools and stuff already?

We'll answer these questions and more this Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 11 AM PT / 2PM ET.

Learn about Azure fundamentals with me!

Live stream is normally found on Twitch, YouTube, and LearnTV at 11 AM PT / 2 PM ET Thursday. You can also find the recordings here as well:

AzureFunBytes on Twitch
AzureFunBytes on YouTube
Azure DevOps YouTube Channel
Follow AzureFunBytes on Twitter

Useful Docs:

Get $200 in free Azure Credit
Microsoft Learn: Introduction to Azure fundamentals
Cloud Engineering Summit
Getting Started with Pulumi
Upcoming workshops, etc
What is Infrastructure as Code?
What is Azure Resource Manager?