Is it ok to take SQL Database backup using SQL Server in Azure VM and SQL Server maintenance plan?

Copper Contributor

Currently, we are taking SQL Database backup using "Recovery Services Vault - SQL Server in Azure VM" Daily full backup at 8.00 PM, HourlyLogBackup.

In addition to that, can we create a maintenance plan on SQL Server to take Database backup?

Weekly full backup on Fridays at 12.00 PM, Daily Differential backups.

When we take backups using different backup software, I know the backup chain will be broken. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

2 Replies

@RAJAKUMAR SELVARAJ I didn't quite get you comment about the broken chain of backups. However, from what I see you're doing it right. In general, it all depends on your 'data backup and retention policy' and the values you set for RPO/RTO. The rule of thumb concerning the backups (and this is how the managed SQL does it, btw):

• Full backup (full database backups are created weekly)
  • Differential backup (differential backups are created every 12 hours)
  • Transaction log backup (transaction log backups are created every 10 minutes)

@RAJAKUMAR SELVARAJ 

Hi it's not bad idea but what would be the benefit of that ?That can  lead to management overhead . The best way is to define your RPO RTO and align your backup policy to those aspects . If the purpose is to save costs i would suggest to compare scenarios using pricing calculator and  rely on automation taks .