How can I access my local serial over IP device from Azure win10 vm?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have windows10 pc at home. which is connected with home router. so my win10 pc has 1 public IP and 1 private IP from that router subnet. I have one serial over IP device that is connected with the home router with in the same private IP subnet. I can access that device from my home win10 pc.

I have created a Azure cloud VM that is also win10. which has a public IP and private IP. Now I want to access that local serial over IP device of my home from that azure win10 VM.

If I create a point to site VPN between my local win10 and azure win10 VM then will I be able to access my home serial over IP device from azure VM?

Please advice.

4 Replies

Hello, @Mainul4000 ,

You will not be able to access your local serial to IP device from the Azure windows 10 even though you have established a point to site VPN between your local windows 10 machine and your Azure Virtual Network.

The reason for this is that a point to site VPN will not route your local network to your Azure network, which in your case is required in order for the local serial device to be accessible.

In your case a site to site VPN from your local router is required in order to to route traffic properly between the Azure Vnet and your local network.

now your challenge is to get the site to site VPN up and running on your home router.

check the steps in the following article for setup details.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/vpn-gateway/vpn-gateway-howto-site-to-site-resource-manager-p...

Regards,

Charbel Hanna

@Charbelhanna 

Thanks for the reply.

I have a basic Netgear home router. Is it possible to create a S2S VPN between my local win10 pc and azure win10 VM?

it seems complicated now. the document link you have shared has a prerequisite of VPN device which i dont have.

please suggest.

Thanks.

Mainul

@Mainul4000 

Hello Mainul,

I afraid that you cannot use your windows 10 machine for S2S VPN and you are right the article that I have provide you discuss a VPN device, however I should note that a windows server machine with RRAS role installed can be used as a supported VPN device for S2S VPN connectivity.

However, I believe that in your case it will be complicated to put this configuration in place taking into consideration the configuration requirements despite that you can install RRAS windows server machine as a VM on the windows 10 machine :

- 2 Networks on the windows 10 and RRAS machine

- NAT traffic configuration on the netgear router

- Dedicated Subnet for the serial to IP device.

for your reference check the following article for S2S VPN with RRAS configuration details

https://scomandothergeekystuff.com/2016/09/19/creating-a-site-to-site-vpn-with-azure-resource-manage...

Regards,

Charbel Hanna

@Charbelhanna 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to create a RRAS server.

I have installed virtualbox and created a windows2016 VM in my win10 pc. Installed RRAS role and configured it. My win10 pc, RRAS server and serial over IP device all are getting IP from my home router.

AT Home:::::::::::::

Home router  subnet: 10.0.0.0/24

My win10 pc: 10.0.0.10

RRAS server: 10.0.0.7 (bridged adaptor from virtualbox)

Serial over IP device: 10.0.0.20

At Azure side:::::::::::::

Address space: 10.10.0.0/16

Subnet: 10.10.1.0/24

gateway subnet: 10.10.0.0/28

Win10 VM private IP: 10.10.1.6

Now I can see connected from RRAS and from Azure side.

I can ping and RDP from win2016(RRAS) server to win10 azure VM with private IP(10.10.1.6). I can also ping from azure vo to RRAS win2016 server(10.0.0.7)

But I can not ping OR RDP from my host win10 pc to azure VM private IP.

I can not ping from azure vo to serial over IP device. 

The only communication (ping + RDP) happening between RRAS server and azure win10 VM.

Even though my local host win10 pc and the serial over IP device in the same subnet 10.0.0.0/24 they have NO communication with azure VM. But I need to access the serial over IP device from azure VM. seems like I am very close.

Please help me with your valuable suggestion.  

Thank you.