HELP! Undetermined entry in Search-UnifiedAuditLog results

Copper Contributor

We have a script that detects successful logins to our system by using the Search-UnifiedAuditLog. If they’re from outside of our country, we immediately block these accounts and boot them off our tenant. (This is our homemade GeoFencing I guess.)  Today we received an alert of the following (generated by our script).

Critical and/or Blocked IPs:

IP

Date Signed-In

User ID (One of them)

Action

102.x.x.x

Lagos, Nigeria

2021-12-10 12:48:56

xxxxx@microsoftsupport.com

BLOCKED: Critical

That @microsoftsupport.com address (i've blanked out the full email address, it's not all x's ) is a legit Microsoft domain. But obviously the location is very scary to us. We have no record of that account as one in our Azure AD. Not as a guest, nothing. So I have no idea how or why this person is authenticating to our domain.

Our script grabs audit logs via the following command:

eastcoasteh_0-1639160765328.png

Basically, that generated the following entry in the exported data today. I've removed a lot of data, indicated by xxx's

UserKey

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

UserType

Version

Workload

AzureActiveDirectory

ClientIP

102.x.x.x

ObjectId

UserId

xxxxxx@microsoftsupport.com

AzureActiveDirectoryEventType

ExtendedProperties

System.Object[]

ModifiedProperties

System.Object[]

Actor

System.Object[]

ActorContextId

xxxxxxxxx

ActorIpAddress

102.x.x.x

InterSystemsId

xxxxxxxx

IntraSystemId

xxxxxxx

SupportTicketId

Target

System.Object[]

TargetContextId

xxxxxxxx

ApplicationId

xxxxxxx

DeviceProperties

System.Object[]

ErrorNumber

I will say we saw something kind of similar a few months back. Whereby one of our users shared a file with an external user via email. When the external user clicked on the OneDrive link they received from us, they authenticated with their work-account email/password which must have been from there o365 domain and different than their actual email account. For some reason, that too recorded in our system as if they auth’d to our Azure, even though we don’t have them setup as a guest or anything. The difference being, in that case, this was somewhat intentional, in the one we are reporting today, this was completely out of nowhere!

Any help is appreciated. 

0 Replies