Having Issues Encrypting a Data Disk

Copper Contributor

Previously was able to encrypt a data disk on my VM. This data disk is partitioned into 8 accessible drives. Recently I noticed there was a provisioning failed state on the Encryption extension for this VM. If I remove the data disk I am able to successfully encrypt the OS disk so the issue lies with the data disk. 

When I attempt to encrypt via powershell or the portal this is the error I receive:

ErrorMessage: VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'AzureDiskEncryption'. Error message: "[2.2.0.35] Failed to configure bitlocker as expected. Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Are there issues with encrypting a multiple partitioned disk? Or if changes are made to the disk? How can I get the data disk drive and the partitions encrypted again?

1 Reply

@morganjha is the VM D4sV4 ?

I had the same issue for this instance having image SQL 2019 web on windows server 2019, to resolve this go to control panel select BitLocker Drive encryption and turn it on.

Before that uninstall disk encryption extension, and after completing the bit locker options store the key in PDF for further use, later click save in the disk option Additional settings indisk encription.

Regards,

R.Sawant